Jeopardy - the answer is: WATER

Bird sightings, trip reports, ask for ID

Jeopardy - the answer is: WATER

Postby Cindee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:53 am

and the question is: How do I attract more birds to my yard? The thing that has attracted the most birds and a huge variety of them is RUNNING water. When we put in a pond with a waterfall, I started seeing many birds that do not come to feeders. We now have two sets of waterfalls and a stream. The stream is by far the most popular spot in the yard but the waterfalls also bring in many a migrating bird. The birds hear the running water and come in to investigate. I currently have a family of Scarlet Tanagers, a family of Orioles, a flock of Cedar Waxwings, and many, many Rose-breasted Grosbeaks on an almost constant basis. The grosbeaks would have come in for the seeds anyway but the tanagers, waxwings, and orioles are coming in for water.

I really posted this just so the backyard forum had a post but I have to say that backyard birding is my favorite kind of birding.
Cindee

Re: Jeopardy - the answer is: WATER

Postby SandyLee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:00 am

I am SO jealous! But you are absolutely right! For a few years, I figured that since we live on a lake, the birds wouldn't really use a simple bird bath....WRONG! Although I don't have the wonderful assortment you do, the birds do make great use of the bath. Now I want a pond/stream...hmmmmmmm....

Thanks for starting this board out Cindee!

This pic was taken thru the window, and the bath is a fair distance from the house...but you get the idea!
(click for full size!)
Robin-bath1-res.jpg
Robin-bath1-res.jpg (149.24 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Joe Green » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Sandy, looks like that Robin is going to town with that water!
-Joe Green
Joe Green

Postby Cindee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:43 pm

Actually that robin is slowing down I would bet. When I watch robins bathe, you sometimes can't even tell what bird it is for all of the flying water. I don't think any bird 'enjoys' their bath quite as much as a robin.
Cindee

Postby PapaRon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Yeah, robins always enjoy a good bath.

Blue jays are right behind.

Water often attracts bird we might otherwise not see.
PapaRon

Postby Bianca Horkan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Well, I bought a new scrubbing brush and some bird-safe pellets to add to the water to discourage the ick-factor in the water/birdbath. It's supposed to last 30 days.

After 20 minutes of work it's about as good as I can get it. I added a few rocks to one side of the bowl since the sides are pretty steep and slippery.

It might be too late tonight to see any birds . . . even though I can hear them . . . but I know they'll be back. :)
Bianca Horkan

Return to Sightings