Awesome morning of birding

Bird sightings, trip reports, ask for ID

Awesome morning of birding

Postby silverowl » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:02 pm

I just got home from birding the Rudyard area. I went with a new friend, who loves to bird, but doesn't get much time too. Also, said she doesn't have anyone in her family to go with. Went to the same school, but since I was a few years ahead, we were never really friends, a few months ago, we ran into each other and started catching up...found out she loves to bird! Our off work hours matched up today, so we hit the road. Helping someone find lifers is so much fun! Today in the Rudyard area we saw: 4 snowys , 6 Eagles and two more after crossing into the L.P. on our way home. We saw a small flock of Evening Grosbeaks, a very small flock of Pine Grosbeaks, a huge flock of Sharp tailed Grouse, a huge flock of snow buntings, and a huge flock ( I mean HUGE) of ducks at the bridge, but couldn't tell what they were, I had cars on my tail. If anyone else crossed today (around 1pm) and was able to ID please tell me! All in all, a great day...almost all birds were firsts for my friend.
Donna R.
silverowl

Re: Awesome morning of birding

Postby MikeW » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:25 pm

I crossed the bridge just before dark and from what we saw and also read on another birding site for that area they were redhead ducks that group up there from fall until it ices up.
Thanks,
Mike
MikeW

Postby silverowl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks Mike! I didn't dare slow down too much with the cars behind me, plus it was high winds and I didn't really want to take my eyes off the road. I hate crossing the bridge, the only time I will look around as a passenger is once we are down on the lower portions.

Donna R.
Donna R.
silverowl

Postby SandyLee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Sounds like it was a fantastic day, Donna! Really cool that you now have an old/new birding buddy! :D
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Sightings