Northern Goshawk-Charlevoix County

Bird sightings, trip reports, ask for ID

Northern Goshawk-Charlevoix County

Postby Rick Baetsen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:59 pm

I got lucky to have all three of our children help with the cutting of about ten cords of firewood down at the farm ten days ago. But then near continual rains have prevented me from getting down there until today to start hauling wood. There were gray skies most the day and the rains, lake effect today, came late in the afternoon. But, the highlight of the day was getting a good look at a male Northern Goshawk. It had been perched in a Sugar Maple right along the edge of the hayfield and as I approached on the two track it flushed off right in front of me. I slowed as it only circled out over the hayfield once in a tight loop and returned to the same tree. I used to see these birds much more often so it was nice to see one and up close as well. Charlevoix County, just north of the Antrim County line, near Warner Creek.
Rick Baetsen
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: Northern Goshawk-Charlevoix County

Postby Bill Grigg » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Always nice to get a look at a NOGO.... but, much nicer to have all three siblings home at the same time, and helping Pa at that!!
Hope you are both doing well - Bill G.
Bill Grigg

Re: Northern Goshawk-Charlevoix County

Postby Dale » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:35 pm

Nice sighting Rick. Ruth and I found a Merlin last week just about 1/2 mile from home. Gave us wonderful close views...a beautiful bird.

Dale
Dale

Return to Sightings