Rough-legged Hawk-Luce County

Bird sightings, trip reports, ask for ID

Rough-legged Hawk-Luce County

Postby Rick Baetsen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:25 pm

In travels to and from Munising to home near Walloon Lake, bird observations have been very few of late, but yesterday afternoon 11/19, we did see our first Rough-legged Hawk along M-28, just west of M-117 in Luce County. It was our first of the season. Just west of there near McMillan along M-28 we got to see an adult Bald Eagle flying low and just above the truck.

Rick Baetsen
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: Rough-legged Hawk-Luce County

Postby SandyLee » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks Rick! I've not seen much of any hawks lately.... other than one little Sharpie that decided to terrorize my feeders for a couple of days!

The "local" eagles spent much of the summer over in the north segment of the lake this year, since there are fewer boats back there (and more ducks!) With that segment freezing first, a lot of the migrating ducks have moved into the south part of the lake where we live.... so our Eagle sightings are pretty much daily, and seems to be not only adults but from HY on up.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: Rough-legged Hawk-Luce County

Postby Rick Baetsen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm

On a trip to Petoskey this morning, I had a Rough-legged Hawk much closer to home. Within a half a mile on US-131 on top Short's Hill. Balancing and facing into stiff West winds, perched on top a post over looking a field. Charlevoix County.

Rick Baetsen
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Return to Sightings