Cardinal- Charlevoix County

Bird sightings, trip reports, ask for ID

Cardinal- Charlevoix County

Postby Rick Baetsen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:01 pm

Not rare or special to most, but yesterday 12/07/2017 we had a female Cardinal visiting our bird feeders. This is only the second time in our 37 years at our home that we have had a Cardinal. The last time was about twenty years ago back in the mid 1990's. This species is fairly common locally in towns and villages but we live in a dense forest that does not suit its needs.

A pair of Red Bellied Woodpeckers has been coming daily and good numbers of Blue Jays are at the feeders as they pass through to further south.

The Tufted Titmice that were a rare sighting at the feeders 20 years ago are now just about as common as the Black Capped Chick-a-dees.

A foot of new snow in the past day has all the birds feeding heavily today.
Rick Baetsen
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: Cardinal- Charlevoix County

Postby Bill Grigg » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Rick, when I first moved into our home in 1983 at RC, shortly thereafter (after all the home's walls were painted, and other "priorities" were tended to) I planted a row of cedar saplings around open sides of my house. Now, the trees are 30-40 feet tall, providing much-desired cover to the visiting (and nesting) northern cardinals. Plus, as they grew up, that meant less area for me to have to cut the lawn! Cardinals love the cover, and available food.
You must live in a more open, or deciduous area.
Hope all is well with you guys. Bill G.
Bill Grigg

Re: Cardinal- Charlevoix County

Postby Rick Baetsen » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Bill,
We are in a deciduous dominant forest, mostly American Beech, Sugar Maple and a few Quaking Aspen that have mostly lived out their life span and either fell or been cut down. On the conifer side we do have quite a few Eastern Hemlock and smaller White Pine. Not enough conifer cover like that of Eastern White Cedar or Arborvitae that the Cardinals might prefer for nesting habitat. It was nice for us to see a flash of new color at the feeders, just hope I do not have to wait another 20 years to see the third one as I would be too old to enjoy it by that time. Cardinals are quite common in Walloon Lake Village which is only about a half a mile to the south as the crow flies.

Even though we are in the middle of the forest we do from time to time get a few good birds. We have had a Snowy Owl perched atop a Red Pine in the back yard and once had a Northern Shrike perched out around the feeders for a few days one winter long ago.

I hope things are well for you and your family too.

Rick
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Return to Sightings