Snowy Owl- Petoskey

Bird sightings, trip reports, ask for ID

Snowy Owl- Petoskey

Postby Rick Baetsen » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:30 am

It was not a very natural setting, but yesterday Feb. 27th I observed a Snowy Owl flying low over the Lowes parking lot south of Petoskey. It had come from the open farm fields to the West. There had been one perched on the utility poles at this site earlier in the winter, but I have not observed it in the past several weeks. I traveled down McDougal Rd earlier this morning, 28th but did not observe the Snowy Owl that has been there most of the winter. The fields there are almost totally bared off now though.

At our feeders at our home near Walloon Lake we have had a few Common Redpolls over the past few days. We had some of them very early in the winter (if that is what you can call the weather of mostly rain and ice this year) but have not seen them most of the winter.

Bonnie and I took a trip to the western Upper Peninsula and southern Houghton County to visit our son Justin and our daughter in law Bethany last weekend. There is real winter up there yet with almost three feet of snow on the ground. In our travels both ways across the UP, other than some Common Ravens a single Rough-legged Hawk was our only good bird observation. The good news though was that we timed our travels back and forth to miss both the Mackinac Bridge closures over the weekend.

Rick Baetsen
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Return to Sightings