Central UP Bird Observations

Bird sightings, trip reports, ask for ID

Central UP Bird Observations

Postby Rick Baetsen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 pm

We headed up to the Upper Peninsula late last week as Bonnie and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary this past weekend. It turned out to be more of a Winter outing rather than the early Spring season thing we might have hoped for. Driving through a late season snowstorm and with winds up to 35mph we had near whiteout conditions along US2 and M28. Several Bald Eagles were feeding upon road kill deer with the Common Ravens. A Coyote ran across the road west of Seney.
I put out some shelled corn and sunflower seeds at our cabin, but had to wade through snow well past my knees and almost to my waist in places to do so. It was so windy Friday that nothing showed up that day but shortly after sunrise on Saturday the local Ring-necked Pheasants showed up and then the area flock of Bluejays that numbers almost two dozen showed up and spent much of the weekend feeding on and off as they hit all the local feeders in a rotation. A few Chickadees and a single Dark eyed Junco and most interesting was that a Common Grackle was there already in the yet winter conditions.
We went x-skiing at the Munising Ski Trails at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, which was about the latest we have ever skied into April. They have quit grooming the trails for the season, but with six inches of fresh snow on top of the more than two feet snow pack the conditions were good. We followed a set of Red Fox tracks in the trail and had a number of American (Pine) Marten tracks crossing the ski trails. The D loop must be within a Pileated Woodpeckers territory as the woodpecker followed us around as we skied and was drumming near us as we moved along the trail. We stopped along the escarpment to check upon a nest of the Common Raven that the birds have been using each of the last four years. They add a few more sticks to the nest each year and we could see some jet black through the sticks so it appears the birds are nesting here again this year. Most years when we check upon it again when we search for Trillium species in the area in May they have already fledged the young.
On the way home Sunday, we stopped at the Hulbert Bog. We did not spend a lot of time there but did not see or hear a bird during our visit. The past couple winters we have observed a couple seed feeders along the bog edge and the road but no evidence that anyone was feeding in the bog this winter. Down the road on m28 we did get our Gray Jay though when one flew across the highway just to the west of Eckerman Corner. A nice Winter weekend and I hear more snow is coming later this week.
If it works to transfer images from my phone to computer I will upload a couple images of the pheasants feeding on the snow pack and the Raven stick nest on the cliff wall.
Rick Baetsen
Attachments
pheasants.jpg
pheasants.jpg (164.54 KiB) Viewed 20 times
raven nest.jpg
raven nest.jpg (241.6 KiB) Viewed 20 times
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: Central UP Bird Observations

Postby Bill Grigg » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Congratulations to you and Bonnie on the 40th.. quite an accomplishment in this era.

I'm still waiting for spring too!

Bill G.
Bill Grigg

Re: Central UP Bird Observations

Postby Rick Baetsen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Thank You, Bill. Looks like we will continue to wait for Spring a bit longer with the weather we are getting this weekend!
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Return to Sightings