American Woodcock Chicks

Bird sightings, trip reports, ask for ID

American Woodcock Chicks

Postby Rick Baetsen » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:12 pm

Bonnie and I are Up North in the Keweenaw visiting Justin and Bethany and our new granddaughter that is almost six weeks old now. Yesterday here in very southern Houghton County it was 81F and the mosquitoes were so bad I cut short a walk in the woods after they swarmed me.

Today this afternoon the high is 44F degrees with an Eastern wind off Lake Superior. Not cold enough to freeze out the bugs but enough to slow them down to finish my hike. Searching more where I found one Nodding Trillium yesterday I found almost a dozen nice fresh flowers. Lots of Starflowers.

But the nicest observation was the American Woodcock I flushed near a vernal stream. I immediately stopped and looked carefully down in front of me where the woodcock had flushed and there I saw three well camouflaged chicks. I took a few quick photos with the phone camera and as I slipped away noted the female sneaking back into the area of the chicks.

And the cold weather has slowed down the Wood Ticks too.

Rick Baetsen
Attachments
34121956_1963308723681883_861090253643972608_n.jpg
34157339_1963308637015225_1147552434709594112_n.jpg
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: American Woodcock Chicks

Postby Dale » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:49 pm

What a fabulous find Rick. Thanks for sharing. Did you get to see galearis spectabilis this Spring?

Dale
Dale

Re: American Woodcock Chicks

Postby Rick Baetsen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Dale, No Showy Orchis or White Trout Lily for us this Spring. We made two trips down to southern Michigan to visit our son and daughter. One was too early for the White Trout Lily, and the second trip was too late for the Lily and a week or so too early for the Orchis. More of our trips this Spring have been up to the Keweenaw to see our new grand daughter. Lots of Yellow Lady Slippers in the Moran area of Mackinac County yesterday on our way home from the Keweenaw and more of them locally when Bonnie and I took a hike in the woods near our home. I hope things are good for you and Ruth.
Rick
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Return to Sightings