Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) Feb.15-18

Events and Activities for birders and Member Activities too!

Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) Feb.15-18

Postby Russ Emmons » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Coming soon to a zipcode near you :W

Annual fun count for all done by zipcode sponsored by Cornell University--and now goes global this year.

www.birdsource.org/gbbc

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Re: Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) Feb.15-18

Postby Cindee » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:39 am

And on behalf of the Grand Traverse Audubon Club (and I am only doing this as a member with permission from no one else), I challenge you to beat our species and number of surveys count. We've been near the top of the list for the last several years. It's time for a challenge and see if we can get Michigan nearer the top with surveys this year. We obviously don't have much of a chance on species, at least I'm pretty sure the southern states have a lot more species to offer, but we could try. At least make sure that ALL of the birds in your zip code are counted, especially all of those Snowy Owls, Pine Grosbeaks, Evening Grosbeaks and other great winter birds we have been seeing.
Cindee

Postby Russ Emmons » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:45 pm

I assume your challenge is to the whole state? ---Yes, I've noticed the GT area does real well each year considering the latitude. We down here with the adjoining East China zip on the big River do well --at least to start out. Often are in the top 10! Our local Casco zip does well but only so far as we are just a flat farmland with woodlots rural township. Considering though there are only a few of us contributing to our local zips we do real well. For some reason not many if any, of the local Audubon chapter people or other birders participate. We do tho thankfully get a few feeder counters! Alas tho, compare the overwhelming # of participants/checklists in such zips as Ann Arbor, Washtenaw county, Holland, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Oakland county, Detroit/Wayne etc. it is easy to see why they are always the top guns --plus the varied habitat they enjoy.

This year they are incorporating the GBBC results into Ebird which will prove interesting. There are a lot of changes happening in the bird data gathering orgs with relation to the internet, protocol, means & methods and especially stricter & more thorough efficient reviewing & documenting of species submitted.
One I hear rumors that the annual spring North American Migratory Count (NAMC) will be dropped since Ebird has become so efficient, popular & comprehensive. The new Google Earth maps & others, plus the cell phones with apps etc. plus Facebook & Twitter are influencing birding tremendously--I would think gas prices are also(?)

Russ Emmons (GBBC Ambassador)
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby Cindee » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:30 pm

I've heard that the Migratory count was being phased out also because of ebird. Guess that may be true. I have the 'bird log app' on my cell phone but I find it difficult to use. Maybe I'm just old school but I still keep my 'paper lists'. I've been playing cheerleader for the GBBC with GT Audubon Club for the past 10 (or more) years to finally get them out and submitting sightings. It eventually started paying off. I haven't worked as hard at it this year so we'll see if the torch has been passed.
Cindee

Postby SandyLee » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:15 pm

How about we have a GBBC count here? I can create a new Forum which includes the GBBC AND the BBQ till April? Let me know!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Cindee » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:42 pm

It would be great to see the GBBC counts from our members. GBBC only runs for the 4 days though.
Cindee

Postby FredZ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 am

Off to do my part. Will count in Branch County today. May get to Lost Nation SGA on Sat. in Hillsdale County. Then to either Lakes Mich. or Erie depending on weather for Sun. & Mon.

HAPPY COUNTING ALL :}
FredZ

Postby Danaduck » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:22 am

Nothing odd or rare today. The eBird site is holding up quite well and easily took my list and let me make a correction.

I guess I will waunder up the road today and see if I can see that Northern Shrike again and perhaps a raptor.
Danaduck

Postby Danaduck » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Filed my checklists and then did some browsing and see that Freddy Z is the number one Michigan lister so far with 44 species. Me, I didn't even break into the top 100.

Fred, you are the man. Good birding.
Danaduck

Return to Events and Activities