Howell Nature Center Photography Workshops

Events and Activities for birders and Member Activities too!

Howell Nature Center Photography Workshops

Postby MikeW » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:56 pm

I posted something in the Monthly Collections topic and said I would repost some of that here so anyone interested in this "Birds of Prey" workshop would easily be able to find it. I know some of you are a long way from Howell, but there are folks that come a long way for this including from OH, IL and Canada. If you combine it with a trip to the Shiawassee NWR it would make for a really nice weekend. Here is the repost with some additional photos to show some of the different set-ups they have used in the past. Also the website for the Nature Center is below.

What I am talking about is a program the HNC runs about 4-6 times a year to generate revenue for the center. Their main purpose is to rehab birds that have been injured, fallen from the next, etc. and return them to the wild, however, there are birds that cannot be returned due to serious injuries like unfixable wings or a missing eye. These birds are then kept at the HNC and used for education purposes with schools and such. They are very well taken care of. The program they run is a Photography Workshop that is hosted by professional nature and wildlife photographer Steve Gettle out of the Brighton, MI area. Steve gives an hour long presentation which is very good and varies from one workshop to the next. This presentation is followed by a very good lunch provided as part of the fee and then following lunch you get to photograph 'birds of prey' in natural settings. They really do a good job to make the set ups look as natural as possible and to hide the tethers the birds wear. You have 4 to 5 hours to photograph the birds which include various Owls, Hawks and a Bald Eagle. It is a very interesting program and currently runs $75 for the day, which again includes lunch. Steve and others are there to help with your photography questions and it is a very nice atmosphere. They normally run the workshops on a Saturday and Sunday a couple times a year in October then again in January and sometimes February. I will include the HNC website in the repost on the Events and Activities thread.

Howell Nature Center website is howellnaturecenter.org

Photos to follow are of captive birds taken at the Howell Nature Center

Great Horned Owl
HNC Owls_MBN-7733.jpg
HNC Owls_MBN-7733.jpg (203.33 KiB) Viewed 686 times

HNC Owls_MBN-8057.jpg
HNC Owls_MBN-8057.jpg (226.04 KiB) Viewed 686 times

Snowy Owl
HNC Owls_MBN-0375.jpg
HNC Owls_MBN-0375.jpg (184.89 KiB) Viewed 686 times

Gray Screech Owl
HNC Owls_MBN-1052.jpg
HNC Owls_MBN-1052.jpg (196.07 KiB) Viewed 686 times

I will update this thread once I hear about the next workshops in case anyone is interested. You can also sign up for email updates from HNC via their website.

Hope you enjoyed the photos and have a good evening,
Mike
MikeW

Re: Howell Nature Center Photography Workshops

Postby MikeW » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:57 pm

I just noticed on stevegettle.com (the website of the photographer who donates his time for these workshops) that they are doing a workshop in May. This is the first time they have done one in the spring, so if you are interested, I've included the information below that I copied from his website.

Birds of Prey Model Shoot
at the Howell Nature Center
New First Time Ever Spring Shoot May 2nd
Register early these shoots always fill up
100% of the proceeds from these workshops go to help the animal rehabilitation program at the Nature Center

For more and to register please call the Howell Nature Center at 517-546-0249

Thanks,
Mike
MikeW

Re: Howell Nature Center Photography Workshops

Postby SandyLee » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks Mike! Sounds like a GREAT opportunity!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Events and Activities