Eastern UP CBC -Neebish Island/Dunbar Forest

Events and Activities for birders and Member Activities too!

Eastern UP CBC -Neebish Island/Dunbar Forest

Postby Brian Zwiebel » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:39 am

Hi All, For planning purposes I want to let everyone know that the 3rd annual MIND CBC (stands for Michigan Neebish-Dunbar, not that we are overly cerebral) is scheduled for Sunday December 27th. Details will be similar to last year (copy/pasted below). Final plans may vary slightly and will be posted here in the next couple of weeks. Some of the magnificent birds tallied in the first two years of this count include: Gray Jay, Common Redpoll, Pine and Evening Grosbeak, Snowy Owl, Bohemian Waxwing, Northern Shrike, Northern Goshawk, Saw-whet Owl, Sharp-tailed Grouse and many more. We are also looking for a St. Joseph Island (Ontario) birder to cover a small sliver of the NW portion of the island that falls within the circle. There is no charge for the count and I can help with lodging arrangements if needed.

Thanks and Good Birding!
BZ
Last edited by Brian Zwiebel on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Zwiebel

Re: Eastern UP CBC -Neebish Island/Dunbar Forest

Postby Brian Zwiebel » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:42 am

This count is centered about 1/3 miles east of S. Riverside along 15 mile. The count is scheduled for Sunday December 27th 2015 with the 28th being a weather make up day.

I have made arrangements with Clyde's (address below) to open early for us for breakfast. They will be expecting us at 6:30am for pre count breakfast, planning and strategizing. I will have maps of the circle available for everyone and will assign sections in an attempt to best cover the circle. I am sure at least one or two cars will go out owling prior to breakfast, weather dependent of course. There are no plans to meet for lunch at this time. Some will choose to pack a sandwich or snacks or you may want to grab a bite somewhere. Dinner and the count down to compile the lists will be at Cozy Corners.

Clyde's is located right across the street from Chippewa County International Airport:
5224 W M 80
Kincheloe, MI 49788

Cozy Corners Tavern & Grill, East 15 Mile Road, Barbeau, MI - is at the east end of the road where it dead ends at the St. Mary's River.
Menu can be found on their web site: http://www.cozycornersbarbeau.com/

Drop me a note with CBC in the subject line if you are interested in joining this count. We only had 36 species last year and finches were all but non existent. We hope to top 40 this year. Diversity is low but quality is really high on this count!

sabrewingtours@gmail.com

Thanks and Good Birding!
Brian Zwiebel
Brian Zwiebel

Postby SandyLee » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks BZ! Sounds awesome! :D
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Brian Zwiebel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Come on up Sandy!
Brian Zwiebel

Postby SandyLee » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:44 pm

I would SO love to Brian! ...and, actually, it's not that far of a trip for us. We have a very "special needs" Cocker Spaniel (he is blind and needs to go outside about 4 times a day) that we are unable to have "baby-sitted".... Also a Labradoodle mutt that's never been boarded, but she's pretty cool .... SO... Any pet friendly places where I could leave the hubster with the dogs and go out birding and photo-ing with you?
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Brian Zwiebel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Hmmm, a pet friendly sports bar? :-)
Brian Zwiebel

Postby SandyLee » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Brian Zwiebel wrote:Hmmm, a pet friendly sports bar? :-)

Hee hee... yep, pretty much!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Brian Zwiebel » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:11 pm

More details for the Barbeau CBC being held Sunday Dec 27th. We'll be meeting for breakfast to split into groups and again for dinner to compile everyone's lists. Sunday morning's pre-count breakfast will be at Clyde's in Kinross, directly across from the airport. The address is 5224 W M 80, Kincheloe, MI 49788. They will be opening early for us at 6:30am. I will have printed maps, check lists and other materials to aid with the day. Dinner will be at 5pm at Cozy Corner's on the river east of Barbeau at 6800 E 15 Mile Rd, Barbeau, MI 49710. Weather dependent we will want to do some owling before breakfast and again after dinner. I can be reached at 419-261-1206 if anyone has any questions. Thanks, good birding and Merry Christmas!

BZ
Brian Zwiebel

Postby Kim LeBlanc » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:03 am

Brian,

I want to say what a pleasure to meet you on Saturday! I ended up having to get a room at the Soo. Stopped by your room when I got out of blind on Sunday about 5:30 for a beer, no one home. Anyway after three days in the blind only one eagle came in close enough for a photo, the snow had started already. I plan to head back up on Thursday for three more days in the blind. I'm hoping the snow is the game changer & I have some luck.

Did you manage any photos on the count?

Regards,

Kim LeBlanc
Kim LeBlanc

Postby Brian Zwiebel » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:16 am

Kim LeBlanc wrote:Brian,

I want to say what a pleasure to meet you on Saturday! I ended up having to get a room at the Soo. Stopped by your room when I got out of blind on Sunday about 5:30 for a beer, no one home. Anyway after three days in the blind only one eagle came in close enough for a photo, the snow had started already. I plan to head back up on Thursday for three more days in the blind. I'm hoping the snow is the game changer & I have some luck.

Did you manage any photos on the count?

Regards,

Kim LeBlanc

Great to meet you as well Kim! Sorry we missed you and sorry we booked up your lodging preference! We were over having dinner at Cozy Corners at Barbeau, and compiling the count list. I'll be posting a couple of Spruce Grouse shots over on the photo sharing board. We had a great drive home Monday evening in that snow storm. Yes, I am hoping some snow cover will concentrate some birds for my trip up in a couple of weeks.

Good Birding!
BZ
Brian Zwiebel

Next

Return to Events and Activities