A Busy Backyard

Birds around your backyard

A Busy Backyard

Postby tozjohn » Fri May 15, 2015 9:05 pm

Tommorrow I and the missus head out for a birding trip in the Eagle River area of Wisconsin with a group named Roads Scholars. Its a birding outing utilizing not only our legs but canoes. But by doing so I am leaving a backyard that is booming with birds. Since we returned from Alabama/Florida in the first of May we have been welcomed home by a multitude of feathered friends. Today was the best so far with a total of 20 different species counted within the 3 hours from noon on. These were posted on eBird under Algoma in Canada. This included Siskins (30 to 40), Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (6 males and 4 females), Goldfinch (7), White-crowned sparrows (15 counted), White-throat sparrow (3), Chipping Sparrow (5) to name a few. Also had RB nuthach, Song Sparrow, Purple Finch, Downy, Ruby-t Hummer, and the FOS Baltimore Oriole (sharing the hummer food until I could get the oranges out). All in all it was a very good day for backyard birding. But not really for photography as it was dimly overcast with droplets falling from the sky. The pics I have included were taken under not the best circumstances but still came out pretty good.
So tomorrow morn before we head west I load up all the 4 feeding stations with as much food as I can and hopefully this will satisfy my friends for the week or so we will be away. Our hopes are that youse down south are also enjoying a bumper crop this spring.

Ron and Linda Johnston
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (male) 5 - Fort Creek SSM ON, May 15, 2015.jpg
One of 6 males on our feeders, most were fully in their breeding colours but some are still looking a bit grubby, probably juveniles.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (male) 5 - Fort Creek SSM ON, May 15, 2015.jpg (179.02 KiB) Viewed 984 times

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (female)  - Fort Creek SSM ON, May 15, 2015.jpg
One of 4 females at the feeders.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (female) - Fort Creek SSM ON, May 15, 2015.jpg (191.18 KiB) Viewed 984 times

White-throated Sparrow 3 - Fort Creek SSM ON, May 15, 2015.jpg
Not as many of these this year. Usually we get just as many of these as White-crowned.
White-throated Sparrow 3 - Fort Creek SSM ON, May 15, 2015.jpg (202.58 KiB) Viewed 984 times

White-crowned Sparrow 3 - Fort Creek SSM ON, May 15, 2015.jpg
Yard is covered with White-crowned. When we did the eBird count we had 13 but later in the day we recounted 22 birds on the lawn.
White-crowned Sparrow 3 - Fort Creek SSM ON, May 15, 2015.jpg (215.75 KiB) Viewed 984 times
tozjohn

Re: A Busy Backyard

Postby MikeW » Sat May 16, 2015 1:20 am

Nice shots Ron! I hope you guys have a fun, safe and bird filled trip...looking forward to more pics when you return.
MikeW

Return to Backyard Birding