THE LOG

Birds around your backyard

THE LOG

Postby tozjohn » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:57 pm

A few years ago I started using a log with holes in it to hold my peanut-butter mixture for my friendly woodpeckers. This method has proven in the past to be the best way of distributing this item. That was in the past I'm afraid. My, how times have changed. Recently I have noticed that the mixture has been disappearing much to fast, faster than normal. I realize that I have been feeding quite a few woodpeckers lately (3 or 4 Pilly's, 2 hairy's and 3 or 4 Downy's) but I knew how long the log would last before a refill was necessary. I used to be able to usually get one day out of a filling, but lately I was forced to fill it twice in order to keep all the characters satisfied. So today I decided to keep an eye on the feeding station to see what was really happening. As usual the first in was the Downy, then came the Pilly and finally the Hairy. All is well!!!! Then came the Chickadees whom don't take to big of a bite, then the Grackle whom took a bit bigger bite. Heck, even a couple of Goldfinch's stopped for a quicky. Still no surprises. Then THEY came. My local group of crows, 4 of them. They are here every day walking the yard and gleening all the seeds not picked up by the other birds. I thought it was kind of neat to watch these big black-birds doing the same work as my sparrows. Alas, not any more!!! Then THEY proceeded to show me exactly where my suet mixture was going. They took turns pretending they were hummingbirds and proceeded to empty the log out in the same manner that a hummer would be proud of as he removes the juice from his feeder. I have never seen this before and it to say the least, surprised me. I thought that having the grackles able to cling to a log and eat suet was bad enough, but to have these 4 big black crooks do what they did is a tad too much. The bad thing is that these guys come back to this area every year as they nest in a portion of the conservation area about 4 houses down from me. So next year they will be back to do the same thing. Now, have any of you fine people out there have any suggestions to prevent this from happening in the futre other than to go to the commercial blocks in the wire cage (they probably will still get to that also). Any help would be appreciated. My woodpeckers beg of you :-)

Ron Johnston
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

Chickadee raiding log - Fort Creek SSM ON, October 5, 2015.jpg
Chickadee raiding log - Fort Creek SSM ON, October 5, 2015.jpg (179.49 KiB) Viewed 672 times

Grackle raiding log 2 - Fort Creek SSM ON, October 5, 2015.jpg
Grackle raiding log 2 - Fort Creek SSM ON, October 5, 2015.jpg (165.11 KiB) Viewed 672 times

Crow raiding log 3 - Fort Creek SSM ON, October 5, 2015.jpg
Crow raiding log 3 - Fort Creek SSM ON, October 5, 2015.jpg (148.8 KiB) Viewed 672 times

Crow raiding log 2 - Fort Creek SSM ON, October 5, 2015.jpg
Crow raiding log 2 - Fort Creek SSM ON, October 5, 2015.jpg (164.46 KiB) Viewed 672 times
tozjohn

Re: THE LOG

Postby SandyLee » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:58 am

OH MY!!! :Y

I feel your pain Ron! I, too, have a foursome of "THEM" :twisted: ! Since yours appear to be even more talented than "mine", they will clean out a suet basket, no problem. It seems (although not totally sure of this), that when I throw out a bunch of corn, a short ways from the feeder, that seems to satisfy them and they don't pester on the suet quite as much.

BTW.... great shots of those thieves!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Backyard Birding