Window Bird Feeder

Birds around your backyard

Window Bird Feeder

Postby SandyLee » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:54 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I put up one of those window bird feeders (bought from Duncraft). It's the one with two suction cups, a little "roof over" and two removable trays. Filled it with shelled peanuts. Was expecting the first visitors to be Chickadees... Nope! The Blue Jays first tried it out and have perfected their "fly in"... Then, the Titmice figured "Hey! This looks ok"... they are now regulars. A Nuthatch or two stops by daily. And, surprisingly, the Red-Bellied Woodpeckers are now loving it too! A Hairy Woodpecker has also been cautiously trying it out. No Chickadees yet, but they seem to be still working the pine trees for the most part.

Since the only window I have to put it on faces South, and in the Winter, the light comes from that direction, it's tough to photo.... but would be a cool set-up to photo some "in-coming BIF's". Hoping to set up the camera on the tripod in the house and see what I can get, most likely in late afternoon. But it sure provides some great up-close bird entertainment! (as a possible bonus, the birds are understanding that the window is not a "fly-thru"!

Does anyone else have something like this that works for you?
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: Window Bird Feeder

Postby MikeW » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 pm

Sandy, sounds like a cool set up. I have something similar for Gold Finches and the other small birds. Since I work from a home office most of my feeders are outside the office window. I live in a bi-level house and the office is on the second floor, so pretty much even with the pine and maple tree branches right outside in the front yard. I wanted something closer, even though all the feeders are within 15 feet of the window and the birds are at eye level when in the tree branches, so I put a tall wooden finch feeder hanging from a pulley I attached to my gutters. This way it is about a foot and a half out from the window. I have bushes below so I rigged it up on the pully so it can be lowered down to fill it. The finches and others love the thissel seed and it sure is entertaining when on long conference calls. They do go through a lot of seed though...some days I have what seems to be an entire flock at the feeder.
MikeW

Postby SandyLee » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Sounds like a pretty slick set-up Mike! Do you have any Siskins or Redpolls yet?
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby MikeW » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:22 pm

Saw my first Siskin this week, but have yet to see any Redpolls at my feeders...of course that could be because I don't see shades of red very well and may be overlooking them. I will have to pay better attention and make use of the new bino's I just picked up. Activity is still heavy at the feeders this week even though it has been unseasonably warm here.
MikeW

Postby SandyLee » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Just look for the little black face mask on the Redpolls, Mike! :D
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Backyard Birding