Redpolls Finally

Birds around your backyard

Redpolls Finally

Postby MikeW » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:08 pm

Well, I have been looking but until this week I had not seen any Redpolls at my feeders. But that changed, especially in the last couple days. I seem to have somewhere between 6 to 9 frequenting the feeders along with two Siskins and the rest of the normal winter cast of characters. Still have multiple Red-belly WP, Downy's and the occasional Hairy. White and Red-breasted Nuthatches, Bluejays, Cardinals (I think I have the original pair and their young from the last three years because there were 7 bright red males out there at the same time the other day along with 4 or 5 females), a cast of sparrows, Dark-eyed Juncos, Doves, hords of Chickadees, Am. Goldfinches and a lone Crow that shows up from time to time. Oh yeah, how can I forget the once a week fly-by from the resident Coopers. He has not been too successful from what I've witnessed lately, but the fact that he keeps showing up tells me he has been, just not when I've been watching.

Happy New Year to everyone!! I hope 2016 is full of fun and great sightings of our feathered friends.

Take care and be safe,
Mike
MikeW

Re: Redpolls Finally

Postby SandyLee » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:54 pm

I'll happily "take" a couple of those Redpolls Mike! No siskins around here either.... one lonely Tree Sparrow showed up for just awhile the other day. Happy New Year!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Danaduck » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:36 pm

Today my flock of about 60 AGF's doubled and with the newbies were a dozen Redpolls. One just may be a hoary but I could never get it to stay in one place for more than a few seconds and it took forever to find after going from ground to tree to shrub to feeder to tree, etc, etc.
Danaduck

Postby tozjohn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Finally Mike, we have a pitifully few (4 in fact) Redpolls come in with a flock of Goldfinches this morn. Thot for sure we might get skunked this year. Will wish you a Merry "Little" Christmas this Thursday. :-)

Linda and Ron
tozjohn

Postby Danaduck » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:07 am

Kind of a strange year. For the first time in forever I have pine siskins as a daily bird. There are now six of them that have flocked up with my AGFs and also four Redpolls are members. Had some house finches for a while but they are now gone. One seemed to be a magenta (purple finch) but I could never get him at an angle where I could see if he had a tail notch or not. Also there are American Tree Sparrows that have found a home in the forsythia bush and are here all the time. Usually they move through in the fall and come back in the spring on their way north.
Oddly, no juncos, no day, nada.
Danaduck

Postby MikeW » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:30 am

Well, I spoke too soon. The Cooper's Hawk is hanging around the feeders quite a bit lately and Sunday morning I saw him snatch one of my male Cardinals :( I guess that is the way nature intended it to be, but I really wish he would go stake out someone else's feeders. Today he was in the tree 10 feet outside my home office window just watching for unsuspecting birds and I have to admit it was pretty cool to watch him that close up, but I find myself rooting for the little guys lately, like today when he went after a fat little Chickadee and missed.
MikeW

Return to Backyard Birding