Where I've been !

Birds around your backyard

Where I've been !

Postby Russ Emmons » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:34 am

In line with deadstreams previous post regards "Where's everybody been"? I might add to what I said on a previous "Sightings" post. Besides those reasons, the regular usual visitors to our feeders & yard since the late summer have been nil . Migration through here this fall was almost non-exsistent. We did see a few hundred Grackles pass through a few days in October.--about it. It's just been recently several more of our usual dependable regulars are showing up. (Tufted Titmouse, Red-bellied, & Downys, White brst. Nuthatch, Chickadees, Juncos, Tree Sparrows, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Brown Creepers ! ) We go for days without filling the feeders--unless the squirrels get to them whereas we have about 10 here & that might be some of the problem.

As most here know I've been famous for #s of Starlings, Cowbirds, & other blackbirds over the years at our feeders---none at all this fall & winter. Haven't seen ONE Starling here since late summer---A STARLING ? ? :shock: Haven't seen a RED Brst. Nuthatch, Flicker, Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, Hairy Woodpecker, Bluebird, etc. here in a year. Not many Goldfinch, House Finch or even House Sparrows. Did have a few Purple Finch pass through and a Coopers Hawk makes an occasional appearance.

Brian Allen & a few others figure as I do that the past 2 extreme winters decimated many of the lingering migrants that hang around in the winter. It might take a few seasons for those that went further south & made it to replenish the populations. Several of the CBCs this season were very devoid of many species, especially sparrows!

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Re: Where I've been !

Postby Cindee » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:13 am

Hey Russ,

Good to see you back here. It has been a strange couple of seasons hasn't it? I must say that I do have my usual winter birds here (no Starlings etc. ) but in much larger numbers in some cases. I have a VERY large flock of Pine Siskins and maybe a dozen Purple Finches, both of which is unusual here. Most winters bring in a few Purple Finches but this year I have maybe 10 females and a couple of males on a regular basis. On the other hand, I usually have 10 or 12 American Tree Sparrows and this year I am only seeing 4 or 5 at any one time.

We've been to McBain, hot spot for Snowys 2 years ago, and so far only found 1 bird. With Rick's sighting of the Short-eared Owl, I looking forward to getting back down there to look for that one and also see if more Snowys have shown up. Canada Geese just moved on this past week now that the lakes are starting to freeze over and the Mallards have moved to the rivers, finally.

Since winter got such a late start, I sure hope that it doesn't stick around to make up for lost days. Let's hope that things return to 'normal' this spring although I'm sure you don't miss feeding all of your Starlings and Cowbirds. ;)
Cindee

Return to Backyard Birding