Yard/Feeder Report

Birds around your backyard

Yard/Feeder Report

Postby siouxzq_24 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:31 pm

There had been 2 or 3 Common Redpolls visit pretty much every day for the last few weeks. This morning, I thought the Redpolls had greatly increased in number until I looked a little closer. There were probably about a dozen or more Siskens mixed in with them and the Goldfinches. The Redpolls have gained in numbers over the last few days, but nothing significant. I think I counted a max. of 7 at once. The big surprise is that the number of Juncos is surprisingly low. I have only had one or two on a daily basis, when usually this time of year there are a LOT more. I counted 15 American Tree Sparrows at one time, numbers WAY up from past years of only a few here and there, and there was one male and 3 female Purple Finches on Friday. Other than that, pretty normal numbers of the usual suspects, BCC, Mourning Dove, Blue Jay, occasional No. Cardinal and WB Nuthatch, and all 4 of the expected Woodpecker Species daily.

I had a lovely dark-morph Rough Legged Hawk for a day or two until a local pair of Red Tails chased him/her off. For the past week, I have heard a pair of GHOs hooting love songs at each other each evening around 9 pm, and I usually have a Bald Eagle sighting at least 2-3 times a week. The resident Coop usually shows up at least once a day to terrorize the doves, often missing, but grabbing a meal regularly enough to hang around.

It's been and up and down year for all sorts of birds, but it's been a strange winter .....
siouxzq_24

Re: Yard/Feeder Report

Postby SandyLee » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Thanks, Siouxzq! Sounds like you have a good assortment! We have one HUGE Coop that attempts to catch lunch every few days.... so far, nada... so she seems a bit ticked off. I've not seen a Junco in a coupla months.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Backyard Birding