Veni, Vidi, Vici !!!!

Birds around your backyard

Veni, Vidi, Vici !!!!

Postby tozjohn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:03 pm

That my friends is the battle cry from my little feathery friends at my feeding stations. Unwisely I asked the Good Lord to send me a few Siskins to join my Redpolls. So, he did, yessir, he sure did. First I received my Redpolls, perhaps a flock of about 75 to 100. Then he sent the second wave. About 3 days ago we were hit with a small flock of perhaps 150 Pine Siskins, all you could say ravenous for Nyjer seed. These totals are estimates for both I and the missus cannot get an accurate count when there are more than 200 birds scooting about from feeder to feeder. I've already emptied my first 25lb of nyjer seed and 25lb of hearts, and am now on my second of each which is disappearing quite rapidly. Like I said in my last post beware of what you ask or wish for :-) And the total above doesn't include my regulars. We still get about two dozen Goldfinchs but have noticed that they are dwindling a bit with the more aggresive Redpolls and Siskins coming in. They and the Chickadees have a tendency to come a bit later in the day after the crowd is less.
Still no sign of the Thrush or the Grackle, but it appears that the Red-bellied WP will be with us for the winter. One odd thing is no Starlings, so my suet is surviving a bit better, all the better for the WP's.
So, now I sit and enjoy a yardfull of birds, tis a real pleasure. But I do wish I could send a few down your way. Wit nyjer seed running at close to $2 a pound, these characters can get a wee bit expensive. I keep telling them to head south, but they appear to be quite content here.

Linda and Ron Johnston
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

Redpolls on feeder - Fort Creek SSM ON, Jan 20, 2016.jpg
First the Redpolls came, bout 75 to 100 birds. The count has decreased a bit since th Siskins came in, but we still estimate that there are still at least 50 or so still here.
Redpolls on feeder - Fort Creek SSM ON, Jan 20, 2016.jpg (196.98 KiB) Viewed 1426 times

Siskins on the hearts - Fort Creek SSM ON, Jan 23, 2016.jpg
Second the Siskins came, appears to be at least 150 of them. As they are quite active this is only an conservative estimate.
Siskins on the hearts - Fort Creek SSM ON, Jan 23, 2016.jpg (246.52 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
Finch group under feeder - Fort Creek SSM ON, Jan 25, 2016.jpg
Group of about 25 finches under one of the nyjer feeders. I have 3 nyjer and 3 heart feeders. All are covered with birds with usually twice as many on the ground picking up the leavings.
Finch group under feeder - Fort Creek SSM ON, Jan 25, 2016.jpg (146.54 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
tozjohn

Re: Veni, Vidi, Vici !!!!

Postby MikeW » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:04 am

Nice report and photos Ron and Linda! That is a lot of birds to keep up with. I've not noticed any increase in my area for the smaller birds, but my woodpecker numbers are sure climbing. I normally have a few Downy's (now 6 for sure) and Red-bellies (4 the other day), but also had a pair of Hairy's and three Yellow-shafted Northern Flickers over the past week. Plenty of White-breasted Nuthatches but no Red yet this winter. Sure is fun to watch them all, but going through a lot of suet.
Have a good week,
Mike
MikeW

Postby Danaduck » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:19 am

I think the large number of woodpeckers this year is due to the die off of the ash trees and the large number of emerald ash borer grubs that were available to them. Now with all the mature ash pretty much done for (green ash seems to have lasted a bit longer than white ash) we will see the population of woodpeckers taper off over the next two years. Assuming my theory is correct.

And as the wp's have to switch from ash to other trees we will see significant numbers of holes in snag trees which means more nesting spots for blue birds, great crested fly catchers and other hole nesters.

Not trying to hijack the thread here so I will say those are lovely pictures of siskins with the yellow wing slashes showing perfectly. Maybe the reason I could not get siskins to stay in other years was that I only serve them black sunflower seeds while others are serving them filet mignon.
Danaduck

Postby SandyLee » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:34 pm

That's a LOT of "Polls" Ron! I will gladly send you some snow... as I hear the SOO is below "normal"... whatever THAT is, in exchange for some Redpolls! Just AGF's and the "regulars" +/-.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby res » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Great report. That second shot would look really nice on the wall!!! Great work
res

Return to Backyard Birding