Vistor From The North

Birds around your backyard

Vistor From The North

Postby tozjohn » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:08 pm

Had at least two of these birds in the large flock of Common Redpolls that are visiting my feeders. I do believe that they are Hoary's. You can see the difference, especially in the size of the bill when they are next to a Common. That and the lack of streaking which is another feature of this type of bird, As of today my crop of Redpolls/Siskins have not diminished by much. Still have about 200 of them sometimes feeding together. To say my seed supply is disappearing quite rapidly is an understatement. As I said in a previous post, the cost of the seed is getting fairly high. I just bought a 50lb bag of Nyjer for $90 CD. Add tax to that and the cost is close to $102 CD. Works out to two bucks a pound, the amount they go through in one day. I used to buy in Soo Michigan but ever since our dollar started diving southward the cost there is basically the same. However, I still have to cross the bridge to get my sunflower hearts as they have stopped bringing them into our city. The price for a 25lb bag of these is about $28 USD which equates to $42 CD, add to that the bridge toll of 8 bucks then that bag now costs me $50 CD, the same price as the Nyjer seed at home for the same weight. But I really like the hearts due to the less mess with no shells. But my dad always told me that a "bitching man was a happy man" so I guess I must be the most joyful person in the Soo.

Ron Johnston
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

Hoary Redpoll - Fort Creek SSM ON, Jan 23, 2016.jpg
One of two Hoary Redpolls in a flock of about 100 Commons. Note the very small bill, the lack of streaking and the patch type red mark on head.
Hoary Redpoll - Fort Creek SSM ON, Jan 23, 2016.jpg (195.9 KiB) Viewed 876 times

Hoary Redpoll 2 - Fort Creek SSM ON, Jan 7, 2016.jpg
Better shot of the same bird up where there was more light.
Hoary Redpoll 2 - Fort Creek SSM ON, Jan 7, 2016.jpg (165.59 KiB) Viewed 876 times
tozjohn

Re: Vistor From The North

Postby Danaduck » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Now in my humble opinion that is a hoary redpoll. But.........last time I put one on ebird I got called on it by the powers that be because I did not see the rear coverts and make sure they too were white and unstreaked. Supposedly that is the definitive characteristic. But to me you got them right.
Danaduck

Return to Backyard Birding