Almost Ready to Give Up :-0

Birds around your backyard

Almost Ready to Give Up :-0

Postby tozjohn » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:09 pm

My old Suet Log was made for my woodpecker friends (Downy, Hairy, Pilly and Red-bellied). But I have come to understand that is is really a communal dining area. My understanding was that only those birds would have the ability to hang upside down and dine on my peanut butter mixture. However somebody has failed to inform all the rest of the characters in the backyard of this fact. Since I put the log up it has been used as an upside down table by Grackles, Starlings, Chickadees, both Nuthatches, Crows and late last year a Thrush. But the latest one to show his ability is almost the last straw. Never thought that a Pine Sisken would have the ability to do the Woodpecker thing, but dang it, they can. A pair of them this afternoon basically cleaned it up until my pair of Pileated arrived. Now all I need is to have some Redpolls do the same. If they keep watching the Siskens they just may do it.
We still are being overrun by both Siskens and Redpolls. I estimated this morn that we had at least 80 or so Redpolls and about 60 Siskens on the feeders. Also a dozen or so Goldfinches come and go, but usually after the more aggresive Siskens take their leave. My seed supply is rapidly diminishing. But I'm afraid those characters are in for a bit of a surprlse. After tomorrow they seed will sadly disappear which means they will have to go elsewhere. The SUV is loaded and is heading south in the morn. Will be spending the next 2 months birding the coast of Texas. Will be in the RGV for two weeks, then 2 weeks in the Brazoria area and finally a full month at High Island, hopefully right at the time the migrants cross over the Gulf. We birded this area once before bout 4 years ago and it was something special. Hopefully it will be again this year.
Will probably miss the Spring Fling at WPBO and Tawas festival this year, but will catch them again next year. Me and the missus wish all youse down south the very best of birding this spring.

Ron and Linda Johnston
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

Pine Sisken on woodpecker log - Fort Creek SSM ON, March 1, 2016.jpg
Pine Sisken on woodpecker log - Fort Creek SSM ON, March 1, 2016.jpg (161.37 KiB) Viewed 975 times
tozjohn

Re: Almost Ready to Give Up :-0

Postby SandyLee » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:33 pm

Enjoy your trip Ron! :D
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: Almost Ready to Give Up :-0

Postby MikeW » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Be safe and enjoy your trip Ron and Linda.
Mike
MikeW

Return to Backyard Birding