Spring arrivals

Birds around your backyard

Spring arrivals

Postby Cindee » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:43 am

I always watch for Chipping Sparrows and look at them very hard to be sure that they are not American Tree Sparrows. I still have the Tree Sparrows around (although the flock is shrinking) but earlier this week I was rewarded with a Chipping Sparrow among the group. Yesterday there were 2 or 3 Chippers.

I also enjoy the return of the Brown Thrashers. I love listening to them sing all of their many couplets. He too has returned.

Song Sparrows have been back for a while but are now singing every morning.

Although I've not had Bluebirds yet this year :( , I have seen a few in the neighborhood.

I had 3 Sandhill Cranes fly-over yesterday and on my way to Cadillac, I saw a lone Bonaparts Gull on Lake Missaukee.

I also got an email from Allen Chartier that said that hummingbirds have made it to Michigan. He has 34 reports so I guess it's time to get the feeders out and ready for them.
Cindee

Re: Spring arrivals

Postby SandyLee » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Great report Cindee! Thanks! Hope your BB's show up soon and take advantage of your great BB Homes! :D
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby res » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Cindy, Our bluebird returned today. They have been MIA since the snow. Haven't seen any thrashers here yet. Two flickers and a couple of roughed grouse.
res

Postby MikeW » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 pm

Have not seen any hummers yet, but thanks for that info Cindee...I'll get some feeders out this weekend.
MikeW

Postby Dale » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Check the Hummingbird Migration Map and you will see that hummers are at the top of MN, WI, and MI. I am in Arizona right now and have found 10 species of hummers so far. Great birding here during the migration North.

Dale
Dale

Postby MikeW » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:46 pm

Sounds like a good time Dale...sure wish we had more of those little guys here. There are so many great colors on some of the different species...I think Costa Rica spoiled me a bit when it comes to hummingbirds ;)
MikeW

Postby Cindee » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:44 am

My first Towhee of the season arrived yesterday. Still looking for Bluebirds and now it is getting pretty late for them so maybe I'll have to settle for wrens again this year. I saw what I think was a House Wren go into the box yesterday. I'll keep a look out. Still waiting (rather impatiently) for Grosbeaks to come back. Then it will just be the Orioles and Hummers to look for. SOON????
Cindee

Postby MikeW » Thu May 19, 2016 5:14 pm

I had three male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at the feeder outside my home office window yesterday at the same time...I've never seen more than one here, so that was pretty cool. I also saw the first Hummingbird at my feeder this week, which seems late compared to other years. Had a pair of Bluebirds checking out one of the houses in the front yard this past weekend, but have not seen them since, so they may have decided it was not the neighborhood for them to settle into.
MikeW

Postby jdsmaguire » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Very nice.
Jerry
jdsmaguire

Return to Backyard Birding