3's Not A Crowd (when it comes to Woodpeckers)

Birds around your backyard

3's Not A Crowd (when it comes to Woodpeckers)

Postby tozjohn » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:17 pm

Been a good year for woodpeckers in our back yard. We've had two families of Downies bring in their kids along with one pair of Hairy's with their daughter. But the best has been our Pileated. There have been two different families feeding on our suet feeding stations for most the summer. One has been bringing in a single female and the second family has brought a beautiful pair of twin boys. The strange thing is that it has been the male parent whom is bringing in the kids and feeding them. The female of the both families has been missing. Wonder is there is a second clutch??? I've been trying to get them all close enough to catch all in my lens at the same time. Since most the time I have a 300 on they have been a bit of a trial to catch all three together. Finally the other day they all met on a large birch tree at the back of my yard. After father filled up with suet he settled down in between his two sons and proceeded to feed them both. The only problem was the location, far at the back of the yard and in a dark hole under the birch tree on an overcast day. The other pics were a bit closer but still too dark for a good shot. Not the best pics but the best I could do at the time but will have to do for the present. Hopefully the next time they visit they will be more closer and in the open. (a wishfull photographer cries).

Ron and Linda Johnston
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

Pileated Woodpecker family of 2 twin males - Fort Creek SSM ON, Aug 5, 2016.jpg
Pileated Woodpecker family of 2 twin males - Fort Creek SSM ON, Aug 5, 2016.jpg (177.79 KiB) Viewed 2532 times

Pileated Woodpecker feeding one of his male twins - Fort Creek SSM ON, Aug 2. 2016.jpg
You can barely see the second juvenile below the two on the post and a bit lower.
Pileated Woodpecker feeding one of his male twins - Fort Creek SSM ON, Aug 2. 2016.jpg (193.42 KiB) Viewed 2532 times

Pileated Woodpecker father feeding one of his twin sons -  Fort Creek SSM ON, Aug 5, 2016.jpg
Pileated Woodpecker father feeding one of his twin sons - Fort Creek SSM ON, Aug 5, 2016.jpg (199.76 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
tozjohn

Re: 3's Not A Crowd (when it comes to Woodpeckers)

Postby Danaduck » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Super pics and narrative. Thanks.
Danaduck

Postby SandyLee » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:49 pm

Awesome!
Our pillies have been MIA much of the summer.... Mom finally showed up with one kid the other day.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby MikeW » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Okay, I just want to camp in your backyard ;)
MikeW

Postby siouxzq_24 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:26 pm

I know that whenever the RBWs come to the feeders, it's always the dads with the kids. I have at least 2 families and I almost never see mom with the kids.
siouxzq_24

Postby SandyLee » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Yep, it's always Dad.... till two days ago! I have a MOM RBW feeding a baby right now! Yikes!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Backyard Birding