A Day On The Deck

Birds around your backyard

A Day On The Deck

Postby tozjohn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:34 am

Spent the day sitting in a easy chair on the deck. Twas'nt my idea really, but tried to be a teenager agin, fell and cracked a copla ribs. So now for the next few days (I hope) I will be curtailing most of my advent-er-us going ons. Sure the hell is sore, especially if you cough or sneeze. Bad enough just breathing. But, It did give me a bit more time to spend with my feathered friends in the backyard, Twas a pretty fair day, had close to 25 species total, but I only could record 17 on eBird when I did my count. The good thing is that my trigger finger was not affected by the stupid fall. (the perils of getting old). Ive posted a few portraits of some of my visitors to the back yard. Hope you enjoy them.

Ron Johnston
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

Brown-headed Cowbird (juvenile) being fed by Chipping Sparrow.jpg
Also had an adult Chipper feeding a immature Chipper. Don't know if it was the same adult feeding both birds.
Brown-headed Cowbird (juvenile) being fed by Chipping Sparrow.jpg (117.56 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

Common Grackle (with peanut) 2 - Fort Creek SSM ON, August 22, 2016.jpg
This fella has one crippled leg. He has mucho difficulty standing up. instead spends most of his time lying on his stomach on the lawn or feeder. Still has no trouble eating my peanuts.
Common Grackle (with peanut) 2 - Fort Creek SSM ON, August 22, 2016.jpg (124.25 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

Pine Siskin - Fort Creek SSM ON, August 22, 2016.jpg
Had two of these characters mixed in with my Goldfinchs. Also, I have noticed my first immature Goldfinchs begging mom and dad for grub.
Pine Siskin - Fort Creek SSM ON, August 22, 2016.jpg (133.41 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (male juvenile in flight) 18 - Fort Creek SSM ON, August 22, 2016.jpg
This is the dominant hummer in our yard rite now. Keeps himself busy trying to protect all 3 feeders at the same time.
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (male juvenile in flight) 18 - Fort Creek SSM ON, August 22, 2016.jpg (90.49 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
tozjohn

Re: A Day On The Deck

Postby MikeW » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:19 pm

Sorry to hear about the fall Ron, it sure can happen quick sometimes. I fell twice on my recent trip to the Alaskan back country to photograph the Brown Bears and I had the tripod and big lens on my shoulder. Amazing how quick you can learn to raise that camera up before you hit the ground. I was lucky and no injuries but it sure happens fast. I really hope you are feeling better and are up and around again soon. Nice photos, keep 'em coming.
MikeW

Re: A Day On The Deck

Postby SandyLee » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Hope you are feeling better, Ron! Thanks for the great pics!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Backyard Birding