A Songbird Per Day When Sharpies At Play

Birds around your backyard

A Songbird Per Day When Sharpies At Play

Postby tozjohn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Alas, it appears that I have inherited a new "regular" visitor to my abode. Tis a magnificent critture but I surely wish that he would find another place to hang up his hat. He seems to think that my birding stations are the perfect buffet table for him/herself. So far I have seen him take out 4 of my tiny feathered friends from my feeding stations (3 Goldfinches and a Chickadee). And this total does not count the ones that I probably haven't seen. For example just yesterday I saw him take out a juvenile American Goldfinch, miss by inches a White-breasted Nuthatch and scare the h??l out of a poor Mourning Dove. When not dashing between my feeders he plunks himself down on a branch high up and surveys his realm, looking for his next snack. This makes it almost impossible to get a good pic of him as he is usually well hidden amongst the leaves. I did by chance ge a few pics for ID purposes, one attached. The pic of the Goldfinch is the one he took right in front of me off a branch, about 15 feet from where I was standing. This yung'un was just doing his flutter beg trying to entice his parents to give him some food, and about 5 seconds later he became food himself, being carried off by Sharpy.
The last two pics are of a pair of my dear friends whom have been with me all year.This is what I think the pair of young Pileated that originally came with their parents about a month ago. They are getting pretty tame and approachable. The female is still a tad nervous but getting braver by the day. Because of the suet eating Grackles being such pests I moved my log up close to the house on my deck. This detered these black ones quite a bit but not the Pileated. The two pics attached are basically directly out of the camera, with no cropping at all. I took both these at about 1 1/2 meters form the log, so close in fact I had to use my 85-250 lens as I could not focus with my big ones. Like I said, the female is still a bit nervous but the male I can almost pet while he is feeding (which I wont do or even try). The only problem is that they are devouring my suet mixture at a very high rate which means much more work for me.
So, all is well here in my backyard, it looks like it's gonna be a pretty good fall. Hope all youse southerners backyards are the same.

Linda and Ron Johnston
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

Sharp-shinned Hawk - Fort Creek SSM ON, Sept 19, 2016.jpg
My nemesis hiding in the birch tree at the back of my yard, waiting for some poor songbird to make a mistake.
Sharp-shinned Hawk - Fort Creek SSM ON, Sept 19, 2016.jpg (284.63 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

American Goldfinch (pair of juveniles) - Fort Creek SSM ON, Sept 19, 2016.jpg
This is the juvenile Goldfinch whom the Sharpie took off the branch about 5 seconds after this pic was taken.
American Goldfinch (pair of juveniles) - Fort Creek SSM ON, Sept 19, 2016.jpg (84.27 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

Pileated Woodpecker (female) - Fort Creek SSM ON, Sept 19, 2016.jpg
Female Pileated Woodpecker on suet log. Not cropped, taken approx 10 feet away. Can't get as close to her as the male.
Pileated Woodpecker (female) - Fort Creek SSM ON, Sept 19, 2016.jpg (100.52 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

Pileated Woodpecker (male) - Fort Creek SSM ON, September 19, 2016.jpg
Male Pileated Woodpecker on suet log. Not cropped, taken approx 6 feet away. I can approach this character within 3 feet without him departing.
Pileated Woodpecker (male) - Fort Creek SSM ON, September 19, 2016.jpg (116.2 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
tozjohn

Re: A Songbird Per Day When Sharpies At Play

Postby Danaduck » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:46 am

Your pictures and tale showcase the contradictory joy and sadness of nature and life.
Danaduck

Postby SandyLee » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Wow.... pretty much what Dana said too.... I've had a few hawks checking out the yard, but the resident Crow family has taken on the responsibility of putting up a ruckus and chasing them off.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby MikeW » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:25 am

Great story and photos! I've got a resident cooper's, so I feel your pain. Pretty birds, but like you I wish he would go else where.
MikeW

Postby Danaduck » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:52 am

The second time I went to Whitefish Pt and the sun came up and it was beautiful. Then the 3 merlins that were there started a killing spree. I got to watch one eat a bat while standing on a log not 100 yards from the shack. It is nature's way.
Danaduck

Postby jdsmaguire » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Beautiful!!!!!
Jerry
jdsmaguire

Return to Backyard Birding