Evening Grosbeak

Birds around your backyard

Evening Grosbeak

Postby Cindee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:31 pm

I had one lone male Evening Grosbeak at the feeder this morning. Last week I had 2 females and a male and haven't seen any of them again until today.
Cindee

Re: Evening Grosbeak

Postby MikeW » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Very cool Cindee. I have them on my photo bucket list for this winter. We chased some reports of them in the UP after Christmas but with no luck.
MikeW

Postby Cindee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 am

Mike - I've heard that the most reliable place to see Evening Grosbeaks is Hartwick Pines. I didn't see them when I was there a few years ago but volunteers at the Visitors Center assured me that they had been there and would be back, I just didn't want to sit and wait.
Cindee

Postby MikeW » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:43 am

Thanks for the tip Cindee, I'll have to check that out. By the way, how did your Costa Rica trip go?
MikeW

Postby deadstream guy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Evening Grosbeaks are a puzzle to me, being nearly gone from my area for years. I think I've had them at the feeder only once or twice the last several winters. Back in the mid 70's they were very common at the feeder, especially when we used sunflower seeds. They were gluttons that would swoop in by the gob and devour the mornings offering in about 10 minutes. As for the Hartwick Pines reference, I have to add that the last two times my Bride and I went there(those trails are ready-made for her power chair!) we saw Evenings at the feeders outside the visitor center.
deadstream guy

Postby MikeW » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks...sounds like I will have to make a trip there soon.
MikeW

Postby Cindee » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Costa Rica was fabulous Mike. We are doing a program for the Falmouth Camera Club in March so I need to get the pictures sorted by then. I've deleted enough to have it down below 2,000 but somehow I suspect I'm going to have to get in down to more like 200. We'll be doing the same program for the Grand Traverse Audubon Club in April if anyone is interested.
Cindee

Postby MikeW » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:54 am

Cindee, I would love to see the program in April if my schedule allows for it...work has been busy lately. Let me know when and where and I will try to make it. Glad to hear your trip was good.

I'm starting to get pretty excited already for July. I'm going to Ecuador and the Galápagos Islands. Can't wait to do some high speed flash with the Hummingbirds in Ecuador. Three are still a couple slots open for that trip, so if anyone is interested let me know and I can get you the info.
MikeW

Postby SandyLee » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Sounds great Cindee! Would love to join you for Audubon presentation!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Bill Grigg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Today, 01/19/2017 we saw a total of 50 evening grosbeaks at five different sites in the EUP: the Hulbert Bog, the village of Dafter and the Dafter landfill, the Pickford Charles Street feeders, and at the feeder just east of the M129 x M48 intersection.
Good luck in your quest - Bill G>
Bill Grigg

Next

Return to Backyard Birding