Help on hawk identification

Birds around your backyard

Help on hawk identification

Postby offytwo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm

The first picture was taken about 300 feet away. The hawk was on a power pole in my lower backyard. The 2nd picture the hawk was about 100 feet away. I never saw the back of his tail.

Thanks -
Wayne O in Saint Joseph, Michigan on Saint Joseph River
Attachments
young coopers hawk.jpg
Is this a young Coopers Hawk?
hawk_red-tailed.jpg
Is this a Red-Tailed Hawk? I didn't see the back of his tail.
offytwo

Re: Help on hawk identification

Postby Bill Grigg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:08 pm

First off, you can tell the hawk is a buteo (large, bulky). The second phot shows a distinctive 'belly band', which means that it is a red-tailed hawk. Nice photos! Congrats on your sighting! Red-tails linger into northern Michigan until the snow gets too deep (so they can't successfully hunt prey rodents),or the weather gets too cold. Then they drift southward, to more favorable prey habitats. RTHA that have hatched last year, in 2017 do NOT have the diagnostic red-tail. It takes at least one year to mature to the red tail (adult RTHA - those having a orangish tail), will also show this distinctive belly-band.

Bill G.
Bill Grigg

Postby offytwo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:14 am

Thanks Bill G. I do have other pictures of the mature red-tailed hawk. With the cold and all the snow here these guys are still hanging around. Two days ago I saw might first bald eagle in my lower backyard and was able to get a couple of pictures of him.
offytwo

Postby SandyLee » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:21 am

Great pics offy! Agree with all that Bill said. Hawks and Eagles are cool!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Backyard Birding