Anyone seeing monarch butterflies?

Wildlife,bugs, beasts, and all non-bird species

Anyone seeing monarch butterflies?

Postby wngrigg » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:44 pm

To date this summer, I've seen exactly zero monarch butterflies. Last year seemed to me to show a slight upswing in sightings over the past three years. but I am sad to not having seen a monarch yet. How are others faring?
Thanks - Bill Grigg.
wngrigg

Re: Anyone seeing monarch butterflies?

Postby deadstream guy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:20 am

I have seen then in fair numbers. Saw the first one a bit earlier than usual too.
deadstream guy

Postby SandyLee » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:50 pm

None here yet... not even while cruising down the roads. I have lots of native plants, but for some reason, get few butterflies. Used to have a wonderful variety when I lived in Leelanau County.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Russ Emmons » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Saw ONE when up north 4th July. Only 2 or 3 down here all summer. Seeing other species but NOT in good #s

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby silverowl » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:36 pm

Russ, I haven't seen many this year either. I bet I saw the most today on my way south, to Houghton Lake area, I counted 5.
Donna R.
silverowl

Postby Bill Grigg » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:23 pm

This morning, 8/6, birding at Isaacson Bay area, from 0700 to 0930, I observed at least 10 different monarchs, which is a very good number for me. Probably the best ever. Alas, spotted knapweed was the preferred flower of choice for the kings... "empty energy"...
Bill G.
Bill Grigg

Postby Rick Baetsen » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi Bill,
Bonnie and I conducted her NABA butterfly count at Seney/Fox River on 07/03/17 on a good weather day and had 64 Monarch Butterflies, with 44 of them on the auto loop on the refuge. This is up considerably over the average in the 24 years she has been doing these surveys, she guessed the average is about 15. The following day on 07/04/17 we conducted the Whitefish Point survey and we only had 1 Monarch, but then we rarely have more than a few there due to the habitat being much different than that of the Seney area.
Rick
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Postby MikeW » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:46 pm

I went through the Shiawassee NWR last Wednesday evening and counted about 20 on the wildlife drive. There is a ton of milkweed growing everywhere along the drive which I would imagine has something to do with it. It was nice to see so many. I also counted 13 Indigo Buntings on the 7 mile drive, which beats my old sighting record of 7 on a single drive through.
Hope everyone has a good week,
Mike
MikeW

Return to Critters and Creatures