Lost Texan in SE MI

Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you

Lost Texan in SE MI

Postby h.trudell » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Unfortunately I'm not much of a cold weather person, so I anticipate being a homebody for much of the next 5-6 months, but if any folks in the SE corner of the state have pointers for birding around Ypsilanti, I'd greatly appreciate it! Willing to substitute a social life and brain-picking for actual outside birding (birds and brews?) if those events occur, too.

As I hail from all over Texas, I'm more than happy to share my brains for anyone planning trips, especially to West TX (the last few years have been poured into http://www.bigbendnature.com for those interested). Life chaos and work have brought me up here indefinitely, so it'll be a steep learning curve and all wisdom/guidance is appreciated!

Happy trails,
-h

Heidi Trudell
Ypsilanti
h.trudell

Re: Lost Texan in SE MI

Postby SandyLee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Welcome Heidi!
Happy to have you join us. Spending your winter in MI will certainly be a bit of a climate "shock"... but Spring, Summer and early Fall are glorious.

Get a backyard feeding station going (with some squirrel guards!) grab a camera (we love PICs!) .... and enjoy the various birds that visit us in the winter! Even tho I live "up north", cold weather is not really my "forte' " either. ... But love your "Birds and Brews" comment! 8-)

We have friendly folks from all over the Great Lakes area here, and will look forward to your participation in the forums!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Russ Emmons » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:42 pm

GREETINGS: Seems a very high percentage of serious birders live in or visit the Ann Arbor/Washtenaw county area year around mostly because of the U of M complex, parks, gardens etc. but more so all along the Huron River which indeed does regularly have & attracts prolific numbers & varietys of bird species. You should be easily able to meet up with serious & helpful birders besides good numbers always of sightings in the area. Fortunately for you many of these birders are professors of ornithology, biology, zoology etc. at U of M and a few other colleges in the area! They always seem to have frequent field trips, bird walks, programs. The river always seems to have various spots around with open water throughout the winter (around the dams etc.) where of course waterfowl congregate.

Try www.washtenawaudubon.org

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby Danaduck » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 am

Welcome.

Russ has already given you the best advice. You will find there are some opportunities for real rarities in the winter over on the Detroit River, Lake St Claire and Lake Erie.

I went down to Big Bend on a three week spring trip two years ago and now you have me thinking I will need to take a Sep-Oct trip. So many place, so many birds, so much biking and hiking and camping.

Thanks for the website. Put it in favorites.
Danaduck

Postby h.trudell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks, y'all! Looking forward to getting to know everyone and sorting out the local birding scene!
-h
h.trudell

Postby MikeW » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Welcome aboard Heidi! Glad to have you join us. I've been on MBN about 9 months and have really enjoyed it...great group of folks here. And don't worry about the winter too much, there are some highlights even in a rough one like last year...we had quite a few Snowy Owls come and visit MI and that was pretty cool.
MikeW

Postby h.trudell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:58 pm

I owe Charles Owens for staking out 2 Snowies for me in March! Yeah, I was here for the -35 and STILL moved up here. Irrational.....

-h
h.trudell

Postby FredZ » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:54 am

Welcome Heidi !!
FredZ

Return to Meet and Greet