Hi from central Michigan

Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you

Hi from central Michigan

Postby Karen S » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm Karen, from rural Vestaburg. That is about 25 minutes southwest of Mt. Pleasant. I have been interested in birds for only a couple of years; I still feel like a newbie. The more you learn, the more you realize there is to learn, right? ;) I love photography but have recently been realizing that I don't have a creative eye (at least not yet!). I mainly try to document with my camera the different birds I've seen, as opposed to trying to get a photo that will win a contest or anything like that. My favorite Michigan birding spot is probably Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge, though my favorite "finds" have come when I am just driving somewhere, not actively birding. I look forward to getting to know the members here and learning many things! :D
Karen S

Re: Hi from central Michigan

Postby MikeW » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:00 am

Hey Karen, welcome aboard! I have been a member for just a few days over a year now and have learned a whole lot in that time, especially in the birding area. The members here on MBN are fantastic and always willing to help with just about anything. Don't worry about not having that photography eye yet, it will come in time especially as you shoot more images. You will find that there are all different levels of skill here for both birding and photography, so don't be shy to ask questions...lots of folks here more than willing to help. I think you will enjoy this site and the people on it. Looking forward to hearing more from you, so again, welcome.
MikeW

Postby Kim LeBlanc » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:52 am

Hey Karen, welcome to the site. Your favorite birding site is my back yard! I live on the "bad" river in St. Charles, boating through the refuge as soon as the ice melts & through the fall. If your going to be in the area let me know. I have taken members of this site through the area by boat, Mike plans on getting a hold of me this summer for a trip. There are several photographers that are really good on this site, Phil, Rich & Mike to name a few. Rich knows the computer stuff like the back of his hand.
Kim LeBlanc

Postby Karen S » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks for the welcome, Mike and Kim! Your reassurances help, Mike - I look forward to learning from the photographers here as well as the birders. Sometimes it can be intimidating; good to know that is not the case here. :) Kim, I know the Bad River - we almost bought a house on it (little creek part of it, anyway). I lived in northeastern Gratiot County until a few years ago, and I still work in Breckenridge one day a week. There is some good birding over your way, and in the southern Gratiot/Saginaw Counties area. Can't wait until spring!
Karen S

Postby SandyLee » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi Karen!
So happy to have you join us! :D
As Mike mentioned, we are a diverse group of friendly and helpful folks with lotsa talents!
Enjoy!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby deadstream guy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:06 am

Welcome to the forum. My Bride was born and raised in Montcalm co., so we go through Vestaburg fairly often. There are some really great birders on this forum, I learn new stuff constantly, although it isn't near as busy on here as it was 2-3 years ago.
deadstream guy

Postby res » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:16 pm

This is a great site and they even correct my wrong ID's with a touch of fun. As for photo work, you are on the right track. Shoot id photos, enjoy it, and you will grow and your photography will grow as well. Have fun with it and if you would like input, no problem asking ;) Welcome aboard.
res

Return to Meet and Greet