Michigan TRILLIUM!

Michigan TRILLIUM!

Postby SandyLee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Dale and Ruth are graciously sharing their lovely photos and information on Michigan's Native Trillium, of which there are eight! We will be adding to this post as time goes on.
Enjoy!

"Ruth and I would like to share with you Michigan's 8 native trilliums. These again are protected wildflowers, and some of them are quite rare in our State. Trillium season is coming up quickly, so we hope you can get out and enjoy these wonderful wildflowers in their natural settings.

Our first trillium we would like to share with you will be blooming in the next 2-3 weeks. It is Trillium nivale or Snow Trillium. This trillium is very small as you can see by the size of the flowers next to an oak leaf. They will flower through the snow and are our very first flowering trillium. These trilliums are rare and very local in our State. Photographed in Ionia Co."
snowtrI1-5428.JPG
Snow Trillium
snowtrI1-5428.JPG (199.35 KiB) Viewed 1958 times

The second trillium pictured is Trillium undulatum or Painted Trillium.
While more common in southern states, it also is rare and very local in Michigan, found in only one county, St. Clair. It blooms in May. A very picturesque flower, it is known for its very large leaves."

Dale and Ruth
paintedtr1-5605.JPG
Painted Trillium
paintedtr1-5605.JPG (173.41 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: Michigan TRILLIUM!

Postby SandyLee » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Drooping and Nodding Trillium!

These next two trilliums are somewhat alike, yet easily identified if you look for the right marks.

The first is the Drooping Trillium, Trillium flexipes. It also has the common name of Bent Trillium. It is mostly found in the southern part of our State, where it shares range with our second trillium, the Nodding Trillium. Identifying marks of the Drooping Trillium are that the pedicel (the stem above the leaves) is angled or carried horizontally, but rarely strongly curved. The filaments are much shorter than the anthers, and the ovary is pinkish to white. I chose the photo here to show you some of those marks. Photo from Eaton County. Flowers early May favoring rich wooded slopes on limestone soils, and along stream valleys.
drooptrI1-0799.JPG
drooptrI1-0799.JPG (144.75 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

The second photo is of the Nodding Trillium Trillium cernuum. This trillium can be found statewide, but is often overlooked because the flower is hidden beneath its large leaves. On this trillium the filaments and anthers are about the same length and the ovary is white
to light purple. The anthers are usually a lavendar/gray color. The
pedicel is also strongly recurved or declined with the flowers beneath the leaves. Flowers in May and June, favoring areas along streams and conifer-hardwood swamps.
Photo from Alger County.
noddingIMG_0352.JPG
noddingIMG_0352.JPG (104.17 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

Flowers of both of these species can be found in pink and red as trilliums hybridize and can be quite confusing to identify in the field. Yet these early spring flowers brighten the woods and herald warmer weather. Something we are all looking for this year !

Dale and Ruth
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby res » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Some excellent shots. That last shot though of the nodding is amazing work. Not sure if you used a close focus or macro lens but to get that much depth of field requires some excellent planning and working of the settings. Great work!!
res

Postby Dale » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks Res.This is a photo I really enjoy. I was lying on my back on a hillside
with my head on the downside by a creek, looking under the trillium. This was
taken with a close focus and everything just seemed to work out. Glad you
enjoyed it.

Dale
Dale

Postby TinaTC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:30 pm

These are beautiful! I can't wait to get out in the woods again.
TinaTC

Postby deadstream guy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Great photos. Our daughter has some on her Lake City place that are maroon colored. I believe on my place I have about 4 trilliums......total! I don't think the soil is rich enough.
deadstream guy

Postby Dale » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:55 am

Those are most likely the Red Trillium, which will be on our next post.
Not a common flower in that region at all. She is very lucky to have
them to enjoy. Their color can go from a bright red to a maroon
as they age.

Dale
Dale

Postby SandyLee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Great White Trillium and Red Trillium!

From Dale:
"Our next trillium is one most likely known to everyone.
It is the Great White Trillium, Trillium grandiflorum. Also know as Common Trillium. Flowers late April - June throughout our State. Found in rich deciduous or mixed woods, and favors beech and sugar maple forests. This flower turns pink with age. Photographed in Alger County."
whitrilIMG_5566-1.JPG
whitrilIMG_5566-1.JPG (209.34 KiB) Viewed 1902 times

"One of the most beautiful of our trilliums is the Red Trillium, Trillium erectum. Flowers just before or at the same time as our white trilliums when in the same area. Irregular and very local, it can be found in Lake Huron shoreline counties from Southeastern Michigan up through the thumb area, and some Lake Michigan shoreline counties. Prefers deciduous forests with cool, moist and somewhat acidic soil. Photographed in St. Clair County.

Both of these trilliums are outstanding when found carpeting the forest floor!

Dale and Ruth"
redtrilIMG_5594-1.JPG
redtrilIMG_5594-1.JPG (244.81 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby deadstream guy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:39 am

Hey! That is the one my daughter has on her Lake City "40"! It is, apparently rare in that area? She will be thrilled to hear that.
deadstream guy

Postby jsommer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Terrific photos of some beautiful flowers!
jsommer

Next

Return to Fauna, Flora, and Foliage