Round-leaved Orchis

Round-leaved Orchis

Postby Rick Baetsen » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:05 pm

The Round-leaved Orchis are flowering in the central Upper Peninsula bogs. This small, five to seven inch high orchid is rare and found in white cedar and tamarack swamps/bogs. The mosquitos in northern Delta County are the worst I have ever observed in Michigan. Reminds me more of swamps and flocks of them in northern Alaska at Denali, and the Yukon/Nowitna Rivers.

Rick Baetsen
Attachments
w-00-srlorhbaetsen.jpg
w-00-srlorhbaetsen.jpg (113.54 KiB) Viewed 864 times
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: Round-leaved Orchis

Postby MikeW » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:22 pm

Really nice photo Rick! That background is perfect for making the subject pop off the screen. Nice work!
MikeW

Postby Rick Baetsen » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks for comment Mike. I had to time my shots as to when the winds let up. A member of one of my bird tours said that flower photography must be easy when compared to wildlife and birds as they do not move. Wildflowers on thin stems in the wind move a lot more than birds and critters when you are using a macro lens.
Rick Baetsen
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Postby MikeW » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Hey Rick, I could not agree more...wind is tough when trying to get a sharp shot of something with detail, like flowers. if you have not tried one yet check out the 'plamp', it is a plant clamp where the main portion is made of those flexible balls hooked together (like the gorilla tripod) and the two ends have clamps. One end has a strong clamp to attach to a tripod leg, small tree or stake in the ground, while the other end has a more delicate clamp to hold the plant stem. It really helps in the wind. They are not real cheap, but worth it if you do a lot of this type photography. B&H has one called the Wimberly Plamp which is $43.
MikeW

Postby Dale » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:12 pm

Great photo Rick. Reminds me so much of last year and the great plants found.
Lets hope this species continues to grow in Michigan. It would be a shame to lose them.

Dale
Dale

Return to Fauna, Flora, and Foliage