Trails flowers ID help.

Trails flowers ID help.

Postby Russ Emmons » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:56 am

Found these along the "Macomb Orchard" rails to trails hiking/bike path near Armada last Tuesday while doing one of our USGS BBS routes. Very pretty, just blooming, the leaves are huge. Don't think I've ever seen these before (?) What are they? :S

Russ Emmons
Attachments
July 8 to July 14 2014 003.jpg
Trail flowers
July 8 to July 14 2014 003.jpg (198.51 KiB) Viewed 728 times
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Re: Trails flowers ID help.

Postby deadstream guy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:14 am

Hey Russ, what you have is a Northern Catalpa in full bloom.
If you pop off one of the flowers and touch the base to your tongue, you'll be surprised how sweet it is. They are loaded with nectar and the bees and other beasts love them. Those same blooms, plus the bean pods that come later, are a real mess to rake up...not to mention those giant leaves by the bushel!
deadstream guy

Re: Trails flowers ID help.

Postby Russ Emmons » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:19 pm

OK !----- I thought the leafs looked familiar. We have Catalpa trees right here on our property and next door has a couple also--one is a big old one. Have never ever seen any of them bloom. Would that mean perhaps they are all males? Several of these Catalpas in the neighborhood and I've seen the "pods"--but not here. We also have Basswood AKA Linden trees with similar leaves but I did know these weren't the blossoms.

Didn't have time to check out this & the flowers--we have only 3 minutes each stop to record each & every bird we see or hear and then move on to the next :roll:

Thanks for the ID DS Guy! (didn't have time to swing over your way when we came by on the 4th.--maybe next time)

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Return to Fauna, Flora, and Foliage