Painted Lady Caterpillar

Painted Lady Caterpillar

Postby Rick Baetsen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Last evening while cooking up dinner I noted movement on the countertop near the stove. There was a big caterpillar or "grub" as our daughter Amy used to call them. She was about five years old and started using that term when we were chasing butterflies out west for a video filming project. I liked it so even today still call them grubs. Amy has grown up and is soon to get her PhD in plant pathology from MSU so now uses terms to describe her research that Bonnie and I do not understand, even with both of us having biology degrees.

Anyway, when I called out grub, Bonnie came over and told me it looked like a caterpillar of the Painted Lady butterfly. We like to confirm such things so we got our grub book out, a book put out by USDA that has a lot of butterfly and moth caterpillars illustrated with images. Sure enough it was the caterpillar of the Painted Lady. It sat on the book while we had diner and after dinner Bonnie took it out to put it on some vegetation. So, maybe we will see the butterfly later in the summer.

Rick Baetsen
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: Painted Lady Caterpillar

Postby Rick Baetsen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 am

Should have added we had our first Monarch Butterfly caterpillar on a Common Milkweed yesterday morning while taking a walk down the road from our home.
Rick Baetsen
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: Painted Lady Caterpillar

Postby Dale » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Sorry I just caught this post Rick, but very neat that you found and identified the "grub". I have that book also, and it is really good.
We had an eight spotted forester moth in the yard last week. A new one for us!
On a trip to the U.P. last week, we did not see many butterflies. Only a couple Tiger Swallowtails and one or two Monarchs.

Dale
Dale

Return to Fauna, Flora, and Foliage