Grass Pink- Orchid

Grass Pink- Orchid

Postby Rick Baetsen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 am

I got out to check on the wildflowers and butterflies at a local bog last weekend. Showy Lady Slippers were in peak bloom. Interesting that with the long winter and cool spring at times, I continued to think that things were behind in flower blooming and butterfly flight dates. I found Grass Pink orchids blooming already, which normally at this bog peaks the first week of July. I also observed a Baltimore Checkerspot, which usually does not show up until the July 6-10th timeframe most years. So, not only are things not behind, it appears that in some species they are now early.

Rick Baetsen
Attachments
gp DSC_1190.jpg
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: Grass Pink- Orchid

Postby Dale » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:44 pm

Rick, we were up north last week, and the Showy LS were wonderful. Also some Large Yellow LS were still in prime condition. Found the Alaska Orchid in spike, and the Western CR at the falls was also in spike. Just across and to the left of the Ranger station. Imagine that they are in full bloom now. Hope to get up later in the month for the Goodyera.

Dale
Dale

Re: Grass Pink- Orchid

Postby Rick Baetsen » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks for the report Dale, we plan to get back up north to do the Seney/Fox River butterfly count sometime soon so will check out the orchids again. At Whitefish Point yesterday, the Pink Lady Slippers we normally find a few nice fresh ones hanging on at the little park north of Paradise were totally withered. Rose Pogonia in the bogs were already past peak in all the recent heat.

Rick Baetsen
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Return to Fauna, Flora, and Foliage