White and Light Grass Pink Orchids

White and Light Grass Pink Orchids

Postby Rick Baetsen » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Bonnie and I got up early to head out to a nearby bog to do some searching for wildflowers and butterflies. As a whole we found a lot more mosquitoes, blackflies and deer flies, but along the path in the bog we found a few nice things too. Lots of Grass Pink had opened up since my last visit and actually most were a bit past prime blooming. Bonnie did find a fresh White Form of the Grass Pink, which is pretty rare but this bog is known for some white and very light pink forms of this orchid. A bit later I came upon a nice fresh very light shade of pink Grass Pink. The name of the flower comes not from the bloom but from the grass like stem that supports the flower. Though most the Showy Lady Slippers were withered and brown we did see a few fresh ones that must have recently bloomed as these flowers do not last long in the heat we have been having lately. As in the past we did note the White-tailed Deer really like eating the blooms of the Showy Lady Slipper as there were many stalks remaining with the slippers nipped off and gone.

It actually got down to 48F last night so a bit cool to be finding butterflies in the early morning, but as the sun got higher and it warmed a bit we did find the Eyed Brown, Bog Coppers, Cabbage White, and White Admiral.

A nice morning in the bog.

Rick Baetsen
Attachments
IMG_20180706_093324201.jpg
IMG_20180706_100432215_HDR.jpg
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: White and Light Grass Pink Orchids

Postby Dale » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Very nice Rick! Brings back several good memories of that bog.

Dale
Dale

Return to Fauna, Flora, and Foliage