I've joined the DSLR crowd!

How To's, buy/sell gear, hints, techniques, and questions

Re: I've joined the DSLR crowd!

Postby SandyLee » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:53 pm

res wrote:I am tied up this weekend so by the time we get together, you will have it all figured out and I can explain everything you know!!! :D

Looking forward to that , Res! Let's hope we can work something out! Thanks!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Cindee » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:45 am

Sandy,
Welcome to DSLR land. I know your frustrations. I've had one for 5 years and feel like I'm still learning all the time. I have found the Magic Lantern Guides (available from Amazon.com) very helpful. They explain each setting in detail and tell you how to use it.

Definately set the 'back button focus' (probably in the custom settings). It is so much easier to use when shooting birds. I also use a polarizer when shooting water birds. It helps take the glare out. I also ALWAYS use the exposure compensation and highlight alert with the histogram. It was awkward at first but it helps greatly when trying to get correct exposure.

Beyond that, I think res is your best resource here. Maybe we can go Snowy hunting after the first of the year and by then you will have it all figured out.
Cindee

Postby SandyLee » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:10 pm

THANKS, Cindee! Although my stuff is definitely "beginner" quality, I love learning from all of you. I do understand that this lens (although pretty basic) adapts well to filters since it doesn't rotate..... and I do shoot most of my bird pics on the water..... well.... until I'm doing all "thru the window" in the winter.... well... till you (Cindee) and I go out SNOWY HUNTING again this winter! (at least there is SOMETHING to look forward to in winter!) And we are pretty DANG good at it! (we were "skunked" only once?)
- Sandy
SandyLee

I've joined the DSLR crowd!

Postby siouxzq_24 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:11 pm

I purchased my first DLSR about a month and 1/2 ago. Still working on settings myself and trying to get away from the "crutch" of full-auto mode. I have an entry level camera (Nikon D3100) and I love it! The difference between it and my old "point and shoot" digital camera is positively amazing!~ Would love any advice on how to improve! I'm working in the trial and error mode...sometimes successful, sometimes not so much! Practice makes perfect, right? :D
siouxzq_24

Postby res » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:19 pm

I assure you, most of the "beginner" "entry" level DSLRs are more then capable of shooting pictures as good as any of the "pro" cameras. The price many times today buys you options and features that make taking some shots easier but is is quite funny how many of the folks I read on photo forums with "pro" grade cameras shoot everything manual and don't use a majority of the features. The other big difference with many cameras is the sensor and the processor. Sandy's 60d has the SAME sensor as my 7d. On the flip side, 7d has a slightly stronger more rugged build, can shoot 8 frames per second, more autofocus points, and the ability to handle canon ETTL flashes wirelessly. Other then VERY minor differences, that is it. It can NOT shoot better pictures then hers. My reason for stating this is to encourage every one to realize that in the camera world today, the differences are getting very small. All current DSLR and most of the mid-range and up cameras can produce stunning photographs with practice and understanding. The HUGE difference between the DSLR world of today and the 35mm world of 20 years ago is the ability to practice for FREE. If you practice and don't like something, delete it. IIn the past, you bought the film for &
$5-$8 per roll for standard film, and then paid $8-$15 for processing. To avoid it, you had to buy all kinds of darkroom equipment and develop your own. Either way, it cost you plenty. Today, aside from equipment costs and avoiding equipment envy, photography is realativly cheap.

Besides, it is all about having FUN!!!

img_9278.jpg
img_9278.jpg (68.99 KiB) Viewed 871 times
res

Postby SandyLee » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:47 pm

YOU NAILED IT RES! And.... who is the "cutie" behind the camera?
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby res » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:50 pm

I shot a vow renewal ceremony for a couple a few years ago. It was their granddaughter. She was chasing me all over most of the reception time so I finally decided to trade "shots" with her!!! :lol:
res

Postby siouxzq_24 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Concur 100% res! My only wish now is a peripheral flash that can keep up with faster shutter speeds. The built-in just doesn't allow for anything over 1/200. If you guys don't mind looking at my learning curve, I'll keep shooting!
siouxzq_24

Postby SandyLee » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:25 pm

siouxzq_24 wrote:I purchased my first DLSR about a month and 1/2 ago. Still working on settings myself and trying to get away from the "crutch" of full-auto mode. I have an entry level camera (Nikon D3100) and I love it! The difference between it and my old "point and shoot" digital camera is positively amazing!~ Would love any advice on how to improve! I'm working in the trial and error mode...sometimes successful, sometimes not so much! Practice makes perfect, right? :D

I am SO with you there, Sioux! Looks like you have been doing MUCH better than me at getting OUT THERE and shooting! Keep 'em coming! Love seeing all that you are trying out and doing!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Phyrephly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Congratulations, Sandy. The fun is just beginning...... :R 8-)
Phyrephly

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Tech Talk