I've joined the DSLR crowd!

How To's, buy/sell gear, hints, techniques, and questions

Re: I've joined the DSLR crowd!

Postby res » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:45 pm

siouxzq_24 wrote:Concur 100% res! My only wish now is a peripheral flash that can keep up with faster shutter speeds. The built-in just doesn't allow for anything over 1/200. If you guys don't mind looking at my learning curve, I'll keep shooting!

You will need to do some more research but from the Nikon specifications, your D3100 does not appear to support high speed synching with a flash. That said, it seems like a pretty decent camera. According to the picture info you shot the birds flying in another thread at 1600 iso. That is highly impressive. To think my first dslr could not shoot past 400 iso without causing LOTS of grain and pixelation. The higher ISO pays off far more then the flash in my opinion. A flash limits your distance from a subject considerably where as ISO allows you to shoot at higher shutter speeds in lower light. Of course, to be fair, a flash certainly allows you to do some very creative things that natural light does not. Keep shooting.
res

Postby siouxzq_24 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks again, res. Yesterday and today were really cloudy, and I was trying to get the "action" shots. Figured I would up the ISO to try to make up for lack of natural light and/or flash, and it worked fairly well. Took a pic of my dog running straight at me in the yard this evening, it's really dark, but it's totally terrifying.
siouxzq_24

Postby Terry555 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Wow, this is all mind boggling! My finepix s1000 has a few auto type settings, and manual ones. I find it difficult to understand how to work the manual ones. It allow for apperature and shutterspeed but takes me forever to figure out how to work them or what they will do. I guess I need to take a class. I really want a camera with the 70-300 zoom for good closeups and was considering a dslr. Would this work for me or is there a p&s that has a good zoom?
Terry555

Postby res » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Terry555 wrote:Wow, this is all mind boggling! My finepix s1000 has a few auto type settings, and manual ones. I find it difficult to understand how to work the manual ones. It allow for apperature and shutterspeed but takes me forever to figure out how to work them or what they will do. I guess I need to take a class. I really want a camera with the 70-300 zoom for good closeups and was considering a dslr. Would this work for me or is there a p&s that has a good zoom?

There are so many good cameras out there to pick from. First, it CAN be done but point and shoots will not handle birds in flight shots real well. I did not say they can't, but with the shutter delay and other design issues, it will never be easy. Shooting birds sitting or walking etc, there are quite a few higher end point and shoots that do an excellent job. As for zoom, look around but you want to compare OPTICAL zooms not digital zoom. Digital zoom is nothing more then your camera cropping the picture instead of you doing it in your computer. Optical zooms are pieces of glass moving and allowing you stronger magnification. Please understand I follow the Canon line personally so when I recommend you look at the Canon SX-40 or SX-50, that is what I am familiar with. I assure you, if you max those cameras out on their zoom you will want a tripod. Many other fine brands have cameras that compete between the models. The pros for the higher end point and shoots is that they are relatively small and light, they are capable of giving you quality 8x10 prints, possibly a bit larger, They are relatively affordable. That said, DSLR are great workhorses. You will find, with bird photography, there is never enough glass length. You will always be wishing for more. If you shoot properly, they can give you prints well over 24x36, they can have shutter speeds and aperture settings that the point and shoot can not match. BUT...DSLR's are more expensive. This is just a brief review. There are LOTS of other comparisons we could cover. My point, each kind of camera has it's purpose. You have to decide which one best fits you.
res

Postby Terry555 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks for all the info. I have heard that the Canon t3i is really good and can automatically adjust quickly and take good photos with the zoom lens. I was thinking of getting this one. :D
Terry555

Postby res » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:09 am

Most every camera can take a great picture. The photog is always the weakest link.
res

Postby Terry555 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 pm

well, that would probably be me...lol. I have a lot to learn.
Terry555

Postby SandyLee » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Hey Terry.... As a dedicated Canon fan ... I can highly recommend the advanced P/S SX series... I've had my SX10-IS for several years... It's awesome... I've also seen GREAT shots from the newer SX40 and SX50. The cool thing about moving from these to a DSLR is that the "logic" is consistent. I decided that I wouldn't get a DSLR till I mastered (well, mostly) the manual settings on the SX. I study the manuals constantly and visit (lurk) on some nature/photography sites....

The SX series also "feels" like a "real" camera.... so you can somewhat get used to the weight of a DSLR.

I'm not sure about the SX40/50... if they have optical viewfinders?.... I would never buy an advanced P/S without one.... it's really difficult to "steady" a camera (without a tripod) if you are holding it out from your body, trying to look at the LCD. (and the LCD also wastes battery power).

I buy my "stuff" from either Adorama or Cameta Camera.... they both are wonderful. I think Adorama has a sale on Canon right now.... I bought my 60D from Cameta.... it was refurbed... came in LIKE NEW... AND Cameta provides a 1-yr warranty..... I managed to get additional "deals" on it (between my CC Company and the Cameta bundle....won't crowd this post with them)... but for the 60D, plus 2 batteries, HD Card, REALLY nice case, screen protector and cleaning stuff ... it was just over $500.00. I bought my lens from Adorama (70-300) SP Tamron... highly rated and had a $100 rebate. I plan to save up for a nice 400 L Canon for next Spring.

Have FUN!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Terry555 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks Sandy, and I'll check out those camera places.
Terry555

Postby Phyrephly » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:19 pm

Woo Hoo....you're gonna have so much fun. There's a whole new world of things to discover with your new camera.
Have fun.... :W
Phyrephly

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Tech Talk