C&C "Composition" Thread/Forum?

How To's, buy/sell gear, hints, techniques, and questions

C&C "Composition" Thread/Forum?

Postby SandyLee » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Would a C&C (Comment and Critique) sub-forum/thread on Composition be helpful?

Nothing really on "sharpness" or "quality" or tech-stuff here (at this point) .... One step at a time
.... but it seems that a bit of discussion on Composition of a Photo might be educational... and even FUN (learning and sharing IS fun, right?).

Do you know you have a COOL shot, but maybe want to make it a bit better?

Opinions, recommendations, comments on how a photo can be improved simply by a crop, position of the subject, intent of the photo or a bit of basic "color, contrast, brightness, etc.) could be helpful to many of us trying to learn?

Years ago, Brian Zweibel, critiqued a Fall photo I posted on the "old" NMB (NorthernMichiganBirding)....at first, it pissed me off... then I did what he recommended.... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

I learned so much from that:
NEVER take a critique personally.... give it a try ... Appreciate all comments! ALWAYS think (no matter WHAT the photo is).... CAN I make it better? Can I learn from it? Can I learn from others? Do I disagree... and, if so, why? Can I have more FUN and achieve more with WHATEVER camera it is that I have?

This Forum or Thread would be focused on Feedback. You could ALWAYS take it, leave it, work with it and of course, discuss it.

ALL novices, amateurs and pro's should participate by posting and/or critiqueing.

Let me know what you all think!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: C&C "Composition" Thread/Forum?

Postby siouxzq_24 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:44 pm

I think that's a GREAT idea. Being a beginner, feedback is important. I know I would love it. My goal is to improve, and get the shots I WANT, not necessarily the shots I can get. Does that make sense?
siouxzq_24

Postby Phyrephly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Might be fun. I've read some pretty brutal critiques but I can't imagine the MB bunch being anything but helpful.
There's always room for improvement on my photos...for sure :D
Phyrephly

Postby res » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:55 pm

It could prove to be a lot of fun. Like Phyrephly, I have seen some pretty rough statements on photo forums but we are a civil group here. We can disagree on things and be decent with each other. I would participate.
res

Postby SandyLee » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks all, so far!

Since there are plenty of "Pro" sites out there.... I kinda thought our "local" site would be a great place to start.... if it catches on, perhaps we can proceed from there.

We don't have to limit it to birds.... Composition can apply to any photo and help us get better family shots, landscapes, macro's, etc.

Definitely looking to have fun and share some learning experiences. There would be absolutely NO requirement as to experience or expertise. Would need to have anyone who posts a pic to comment on someone else's.... helps keep it going.

EVERYONE would be welcome and ENCOURAGED to comment, critique or ask questions about a photo.
Basically, we pick the images we hang in our living room by what we "Like"...always great to know "what turns ya on!" (or NOT! ;) )

I'll wait for a bit more input.... and include it in our November Newsletter.... and we may try it out for awhile... if it works... WOOT WOOT.... if not, we can evaluate whether it should be included.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Terry555 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm pretty new here, but this sounds like something good. I'd be interested.
Terry555

Return to Photo Tech Talk