Sumpin NEW!! How would you edit

How To's, buy/sell gear, hints, techniques, and questions

Sumpin NEW!! How would you edit

Postby res » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Ok, let's try something a bit new. I do not want this to become competition of photography skills but rather, I think it would be fun to see how some would change the original picture to make a more meaningful product. So, I am going to post the originals in two different formats. Two are direct links to my website and you can feel free to download the large file if you choose. I am also adding the resized pictures that will show clearly in the thread. You may work with either. Remember, no wrong answers. Just look at the shots and try and figure out the best way to crop or edit the picture to best show the bird and grab a viewer's attention. Let's have some fun!!

http://gobirdphoto.smugmug.com/Other/To-Be-Shared/i-KB2mj23/0/XL/IMG_7597-XL.jpg
http://gobirdphoto.smugmug.com/Other/To ... 599-XL.jpg

IMG_7597small.jpg
IMG_7597small.jpg (86.76 KiB) Viewed 1773 times

IMG_7599small.jpg
IMG_7599small.jpg (80.14 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
res

Re: Sumpin NEW!! How would you edit

Postby SandyLee » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:43 am

What a cool idea, Res! :D
So, we choose one of the pics, try our editing skills (or lack thereof for me!)... Then repost the pic and should probably describe what we did too?
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby siouxzq_24 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 pm

I have trouble editing JPG files, but I'll give it a shot! I usually do any editing in raw, and then convert to JPG. Getting new editing software in the mail this week!
siouxzq_24

Postby res » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:58 pm

siouxzq_24 wrote:I have trouble editing JPG files, but I'll give it a shot! I usually do any editing in raw, and then convert to JPG. Getting new editing software in the mail this week!

Same workflow for me. Even doing a simple crop is fine. What SW are you getting?
res

Postby siouxzq_24 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:43 am

I joined a local photography club, kind of informal, but with folks of all skill levels. We had a demonstration of different programs, and I chose Photoshop Elements for the price point and ease of use. I demo'ed "Lightroom" but didn't like it as well. The full Photoshop Pro was a bit too pricey for me.
siouxzq_24

Postby SandyLee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:32 pm

OK... I'm gonna "bite" here!
First, I chose number 2.... cleaner action, eye contact, head angle... and his feet aren't obscured by the sand.
- Straightened the horizon
- Cropped
- Cloned out some white spots in the environment
- Adjusted levels just a tad
- Added muted "eye catch" in the direction of the light.
- Did a tiny bit of brightening (since Res always tells me that my stuff is too dark!)

Nothing I could do about the shoreline (?) intersecting his head?

SOOOOOO..... now I'm up for your critique, Res!!!!!

IMG_7599-XL.jpg
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby siouxzq_24 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Mine is smaller ... did all that stuff Sandy did, just did it a little different. Didn't "shop" the background and because the eye was so small by the time I got done, I opted to pass on the eye highlights. So ... Looks a lot like Sandy's though!

IMG_7599-XL.jpg
IMG_7599-XL.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
siouxzq_24

Postby SandyLee » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Sioux.... I like your tight crop! I didn't do anything to the background either... it IS natural to have a background behind a bird, and it's not overly "busy". Looks like your edit is a bit lighter than mine... which is nice... you've been able to bring out detail in the brown feathers.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby siouxzq_24 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Sandy, they look so close!

The only real difference I can see is that the white on mine just looks a little "whiter". The overall "lightness" is about the same. The only thing I can think of that I might have done that you didn't is adjust the shadows and highlights, maybe? I think yours is "crisper" overall.

I think we both did awesome!
siouxzq_24

Postby res » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:23 pm

Great edits to both of you. It is fun to see how people perceive a photo and it's making and then alter it to what we want to see. That is not a bad thing, just interesting. Case in point, we like to see birds on flat ground. Since the background was so blurred (intentional on my part from the camera) it is hard to get the perspective on this bird and find out it was going up a small hill at the time. I like the "horizon straightened" look!! It is just fun to see what people think. Blowing details out of the background alter's peoples expectations. I do like the bump in contrast that both of you gave it. Very nicely done.

Again folks, this is not a right or wrong contest. This is a fun thing to see what others might do. Phil got a piper in a pristine setting on another thread but one of the reasons I picked this photo was due to the blend of color tones which makes editing this shot a challenge and opens multiple opportunities.
res

Next

Return to Photo Tech Talk