Shot RAW... Now what?

How To's, buy/sell gear, hints, techniques, and questions

Shot RAW... Now what?

Postby SandyLee » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Okay... set the camera on RAW... after deleting a TON, I have about 40 photos saved on the card.

I'm currently using PSE6, which, being so old doesn't support RAW.
Software that came with the Canon 60D to process RAW is pretty pathetic.

For the best price, and for what I need (and my experience level), should I just upgrade to PSE-11?
Any issues there?

I see that I can download a trial version of PSE-11... good idea?

And, speaking of cards.... does a Class 10 card provide advantages over the Class 4 or 6, etc?

Any input will be FOREVER appreciated! 8-)
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: Shot RAW... Now what?

Postby res » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Convert in DPP and edit in PE
res

Postby res » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Ok, not on my phone anymore so I can type much easier. You have several options but let me run through some things quickly so that you can make a good informed decision. First, shooting raw is a great way to help make some adjustments to the photo with less "damage" to the picture that will take place if you edit in the JPEG format. MY suggestion would be to start with the disc that came with your camera. It has a program called Canon Digital Photo Professional on it. That is a raw editor and it is pretty good at that. After you install, I would update it by going to
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_6d#DriversAndSoftware
then clicking on drivers and software, choose your operating system and then choose the software DPP update. When you open DPP, you will be able to review all of your raw files in thumbnail form at first. You can select multiple pictures and make quick adjustments on all of those selected if you need to. Quite handy when you set a setting somewhat wrong on the camera and want to change it on a batch of pictures. Great time saver. Then you can also pick one particular picture and open it for more detailed adjustment. When you open a single photo, it will look something like this:
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (58.66 KiB) Viewed 1417 times

You can see on the right side I have the tool palette open so you can see some of the adjustments that are at your disposal. White balance, contrast, highlights, shadows, sharpness, etc all can receive some adjustment. Once you have the picture as close as you can get it, you can save and convert to a different format for a full scale editing program if you choose.

Once you have a basic idea of DPP, then you will be able to easily evaluate other programs and their raw editing capabilities. I have used and still keep a copy of Coral Paintshop Pro for quick editing on my laptop. Version 5 is out but I only have version 3. May I politely say, the raw editor on that program compared to the DPP is VERY basic. It is usable but it is basic. I do not have elements but again, if you have used DPP to see it's capabilities, you can easily evaluate. For the record, I do not use DPP that much for my stuff. I did for several years but since I have photoshop, Adobe bridge and camera raw come with it. They are even better in my opinion then DPP. I do not know what they have taken away in their elements program but again, but some form of these programs I believe come with elements. If you have a touch of time using DPP, you will know if these other programs are better for your needs.

I know this sounds confusing and I am not so sure I am doing a good job of explaining it but I do know that many of the photo editors like Elements, Coral Paintshop, etc are great programs for not to much money. Even if their raw editing capabilities are limited, they still stand as quality programs on their own with great capabilities. Using two programs may be slightly less convenient but it can save you a touch of $$$ if their raw editors fall a touch short.

Hope that helps a touch.
res

Postby SandyLee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks, Res! Did that... Not confusing at all! The DPP program... selected one pic... straightened and cropped a bit.... Then, when I converted, it saved a 22meg pic down to about 3+ megs... And looked pretty aweful. Why would I want to edit a converted 3 meg as compared to the 6 meg JPG straight from the camera? Seems like I'd still be working on a "copy", with really reduced IQ.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner..... lotsa company the last week or so. Will keep working on it and let ya know how it goes.... will also try to post examples.

Thank you SO MUCH for your patience and help! :D
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby SandyLee » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Downloaded a free trial version of PSE 11.... Seems GREAT! Can open RAW AND edit quite easily... WAY better than the DPP.... Then convert and save to a really good JPEG for final processing. Still learning my way around it, but will post more on before and after.

With the warm weather... NICE! have been trying to spend a bit more time away from the Puter!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Photo Tech Talk