Canon 7D MKII

How To's, buy/sell gear, hints, techniques, and questions

Canon 7D MKII

Postby David Smith » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:39 pm

If anyone is interested in getting a 7D MKII and is having trouble finding one, Sunny Schick Camera in Fort Wayne, In. has 2 or 3 bodies and 1 or 2 kits. Their phone number is 260-424-1615 and their website is "sunnyschickcamera.com". I got mine today.

David
David Smith

Re: Canon 7D MKII

Postby SandyLee » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:36 pm

WHOO HOO! Please let us know what you think about it David!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby David Smith » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:39 pm

From the little bit I have shot with it I really like it. There is a lot more to learn about it than my 60D so I am spending a lot of time trying to figure out what the menus are. the pictures so far seem to be really sharp and noise free, I have been shooting at 800, 1600, and some 3200 ISO just to see how it does. I am hoping to get out this week and at least do some static shots and maybe some BIF. When I get some decent shots I will post.

David
David Smith

Postby SandyLee » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:22 pm

Sounds good! We'll look forward to seeing your photos!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby MikeW » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:00 am

Glad to hear you are liking it so far David. I ordered mine the day they were announced from B&H and am expecting it will be shipped this week. I'd been waiting for that announcement from Canon for almost two years, since they started speculating on what the 7DM2 would be like, and can't wait to get my hands on it and try it out. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots.
MikeW

Postby David Smith » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:30 pm

Mike,
I don't know what you have been shooting but there is a lot you can do with the MKII. I would suggest going to the Canon Knowledgw Center and watching the videos by Rudy Winston and also look at the tutorial on the autofocus system which explains a lot about the AF.
The videos show some tips to make the camera more user friendly, at least to me anyway.

David
David Smith

Postby MikeW » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:45 pm

David, thanks for the info, I will be sure to do that. I have a 5DM2 now for landscape work, so the new 7DM2 will be my wildlife/sports camera. I've watched a lot on it already, but mostly reviews, so the ones you mention will be interesting and helpful I'm sure. It is being delivered tomorrow so I'm pretty pumped to check it out.

Have you ever read one of the books (camera specific) that are written by David Busch? He has one for about every DSLR out there and they concentrates on the functions and menu's of the camera and how they affect your image...not on photography...over 400 pages of great info and much easier to use for reference than the actual camera manual. I have read the one on my 5DM2 and his book on Mastering Digital Photography and they are both fabulous books that I would highly recommend. I'm sure he will have one out within the next couple months on the 7DM2 also. It usually does not take long for the book after the camera comes out because all the camera books he writes utilize the same general format and layout. Check it out when it hits the book stores. He also does 'quick reference' books that are camera specific, but they are harder to find in the bookstores and I usually order them online.
MikeW

Postby David Smith » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:43 am

I have the David Busch book for my 60D and it is easier to follow than the owners manual so I will probably get the one for the 7D MKII when it comes out. I have taken a few pics but nothing to brag about and it is raining again today so maybe tomorrow.

David
David Smith

Postby chipperatl » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Glad to see the recommendation for the book Mike. Mine just arrived today. Cannot wait to give it a go. Trying to go through the full manual now, and it is a bit overwhelming. Really want to take it out tomorrow and give a thorough testing of the low-light capabilities.
2014 Calhoun County 2014: 194 of 209 reported
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47026408@N05/
chipperatl

Postby MikeW » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:46 am

Got mine today too...I was out of town for work Wed/Thu and no one was home when UPS came on Thursday...just glad a signature was required so it didn't end up sitting on the front deck. I am still in the process of getting all the settings where I want them and learning the new ones that differ from my 5DM2, it is making me realize just how old some of the tech is in that camera (of course it hit the market about 7 years ago, so that is to be expected). I'm going to Kensington on Sunday to give it a try, but will get it all set up tomorrow and probably try to catch something at the feeders to test it out. Always exciting to play with something new and see what it can do.
MikeW

Next

Return to Photo Tech Talk