I'm ready to upgrade - opinions needed

How To's, buy/sell gear, hints, techniques, and questions

Re: I'm ready to upgrade - opinions needed

Postby wngrigg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Remember, a grey-market camera / lens vrs. a (fully warranted) US imported model! Don't get burned, and find out after the fact that what you "thought" was a good purchase is not a warranteed US import. I purchase all my photo and optic gear from the big stores in New York, without a problem in the +forty years I've been a birder / (picture taker).
Just a thought - ask first!
Bill G.
wngrigg

Postby Celtictwo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:54 am

Thanks to all for the excellent information and advice. I think I have found my camera shop located in Grosse Pointe Woods. It is only 10 minutes away from my in-laws and 20 minutes from my son's home, both which we visit on a regular basis. I will be visiting the store as soon as possible. Sorry, B-B, you had your chance!

For those interested I have decided on the Nikon D3300. It comes with the standard F-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II lens and I will be purchasing either the optional AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR or AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-E lens depending on trying them out. This is an entry-level DSLR, but it is rated very high in this category by several review sites. And it is steps above my current bridge camera, a Nikon L830. I would not mind getting something a little more advanced, but unfortunately, budget is of prime importance. (So far, this is the only down-side I have found to being retired)
Celtictwo

Postby SandyLee » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction, Celtic. BTW.... as I am not familiar with Nikon.... what is the "zoom" on your current bridge camera? Agree that Best Buy is pretty much useless for this type of purchase. I hope that your camera store can help point you in the right direction.

And, Res is right on with his recommendation to find a local camera club... hook up with someone who is willing to help. I am so thankful that since Res lives "not too far away", he was willing and generous enough to offer his time and expertise AND share his gear, to help me a couple of years ago... AND he is a great teacher (patient, informative and non-condescending to a neophyte!) Be willing to listen, learn and then (as Res succinctly told me) Just get out there and shoot a lot! Sure makes you love that little Digital "trash" icon!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Celtictwo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:23 am

My current camera is a 34X optical zoom. The digital "zoom" is 68X but after experimenting and finding that almost all photos at that zoom factor are terrible, I have turned that feature off. I have been doing a lot of research and found that, like a lot of novices, zoom and magnification are two different things.

The camera shop was just too hectic when I stopped by so I'm going to try again after the holidays when the salesman will be able to put up with my amateur questions.
Celtictwo

Postby Russ Emmons » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:08 am

Gary: Try Woodward Camera at Woodward & 14 Mile Rd. www.woodwardcamera.com Not sure Round trip mile for you but maybe closer then Grosse Pointe. There is a guy there, one of the top salesmen in SE MI for this stuff. Jerry ?----(Sawdowski or something). He is a birder and known by some of the members here. He is also on the FB "Birding MI" list I think. Very honest & helpful guy.
I received a "Black Friday" Nikon sales brochure from them with some real sweet deals--it seems. I'm tending to lean toward Nikon also when I make the move. Lots of house & outbuilding repairs etc. going on now here so no time or $$ for birding or upgrading yet--yes retired does cramp ones $.
I see the models you are commenting on-- I'm interested in the D3200 kit with the 55--200 lense. Have been doing ok with my little Kodak bridge camera with 26X--65mm--miss my old HP945 which was smaller yet but the quick easy manual focus made for tack sharp focus even with a dark or overexposed shot so D3200 should more then suffice for me ---I hope :roll: ;)

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby SandyLee » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Keep checking and learning, Celtic.... And, yes, I don't even know why there is a "digital zoom" feature, even on advanced P/S cameras ... pretty worthless.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Previous

Return to Photo Tech Talk