Is it my camera or me? (P&S)

How To's, buy/sell gear, hints, techniques, and questions

Re: Is it my camera or me? (P&S)

Postby TinaTC » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Celtic, great idea about Youtube. It has helped me through many DIY projects.

Sandy, the camera is a 26x wide optical zoom. Yes, there is a little bracket thing on the view when I take a picture. But even scenery pics or zoomed-in pics just never look crisp. Macro shots too, unless there's a huge amount of light, have always been a hassle. As soon as I can get some quality daylight hours I'll play with the settings some more. That seagull picture is so sharp! Like Celtic's, I would've never believed those were taken with a P&S. I've never gotten that kind of quality with my Nikon, ever. How sweet and generous of you to offer it! I may take you up on that if I can't get this Nikon to shine. It would be great to meet you and of course lunch would be on me. :)
TinaTC

Postby TinaTC » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:25 pm

wngrigg - we must've been typing at the same time. Good idea on practicing in the house. I'm starting to get what everyone is saying about the focal length. I've always struggled with the zoom. The object will look in focus on the display, but when I snap the shot it goes back to blurry. I never get sharp photos when I zoom in. Apparently that should not be happening. I'll practice on the pets this week.
TinaTC

Postby MikeW » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:32 pm

Tina, your camera I believe also allows you to go past the 'optical' zoom into the 'digital' zoom range. Digital zoom is going to be much more grainy than optical, so be sure you keep it in the optical range. There is normally a line in the viewfinder somewhere on the zoom scale that separates the two. Staying in that optical zoom range will help to keep the image sharper.
MikeW

Postby SandyLee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:09 pm

What Mike said on Digital!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby TinaTC » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Well, I'm practicing but the photos are no better. They look clear on the screen only for a second and then they get fuzzy again and stay that way. I've had this problem since the beginning. I don't quite understand the digital vs. optical zoom distinction either. Optical zoom is distance and digital is... I don't know, magnification? Soooo... why even have digital zoom if it won't give you clear photos? Maybe photography is just not my thing.
TinaTC

Postby MikeW » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:23 pm

Tina, hang in there...it does get easier. I'm with you on the digital zoom...never understood what good it is unless you just needed to prove you saw something and picture quality was not important.

In a non-technical nutshell the difference is this...optical zoom is a magnification of the image based on what the lens/sensor can produce using the available pixels to capture the light. Think of this as the power of your bino's...10 power is a greater magnification than 8 power, but both are clear because they are 'optical' magnifications of what you see with your eyes. Digital zoom goes a step further, in that it goes beyond the capabilities of the lens/sensor and starts to, in easy terms, 'make up' the additional pixels it needs to complete the image. There are only so many pixels on a sensor and once you zoom past a certain point those pixels can no longer handle the magnification and the light coming through the lens, which creates areas in the image void of any pixels (think of these as dead spots in the image). When this happens the camera then uses pixels in the surrounding area of the image to figure out what the dead spots should look like and 'creates' those missing pixels. As you can imagine the further into 'digital' zoom you go, the more this happens and the less sharp the image becomes.

Anyway, from what you describe...the image looking clear then getting fuzzy...I would guess your camera is having issues. Since it is 4 years old it might be a good time to look at a replacement to save some frustration. Photography is a lot of fun, but not so much when dealing with equipment issues. I hope you can get it figured out one way or another. Good luck.
MikeW

Postby TinaTC » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 am

Thank you MikeW for another great explanation. This really helps. I wonder if it has to do with the auto focus. I'll keep researching. Sometimes the comments under the review sections of the camera are really helpful.
TinaTC

Postby res » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:17 pm

I apologize for not jumping in a bit earlier but have been quite busy. Not sure I can add any more than Mike and Sandy and the others have given you but I will give it a shot.
First, it may have nothing to do with it but I would reformat your card or get a different one and make sure there is something not hurting you on that. Second, I would check the firmware on your camera and see if it is up to date. If not update it. Here is a link to give you a running head start.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13783

Many have given you great ideas but the picture should not be sharp at first and then change on the screen after a few seconds. If I blow a shot, it is obvious immediately. THAT would lean toward a camera issue and I would be curious to see if a firmware update would fix it for you. Check in your manual and it will tell you how to check and update your firmware. Technique issues will not make the picture change as you are describing. IF autofocus is causing issues, that also should show on screen as blurry immediately. What you are describing almost sounds as if the camera is applying a filter after you take the shot, such as heavy noise reduction, etc. Even if your firm ware SAYS it is up to date, I would follow your manual and reinstall just to be sure.

Rick
res

Postby TinaTC » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Thank you, res! Long weekend coming up. I'll look into this and get outside with the camera.
TinaTC

Postby TinaTC » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:24 pm

WOWSA! The pics are definitely better now. When I reset the whole camera to change that vibration setting, things just got better. I'm working on the firmware update, but my computer wouldn't recognize the drive for my camera card, so that's another issue. I really do think I am technically cursed, and having to adjust to Windows 8 isn't helping :B The version update detail didn't address any of the problems I'm having though, but I will still do the update if I can. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a firmware update, so that's good to know!

Thanks EVERYONE for your helpful input on this thread! I get very frustrated with technical things like this, so I appreciate your patience. Any advice on how to improve on these pics is welcomed.

Question about the shutter speed. Is this the ISO sensitivity setting? It's different on the two pics. I did have to reset the camera after the downey pic because the date was wrong (both were taken on the 15th) I don't know if that's why it's different, or is it the way I took the shot?

20150214_1738__01.JPG
20150214_1738__01.JPG (349.85 KiB) Viewed 872 times

Camera downey_01.JPG
Camera downey_01.JPG (119.11 KiB) Viewed 872 times

20150215_1744__01.JPG
20150215_1744__01.JPG (381.96 KiB) Viewed 872 times

Camera chickadee_01.JPG
Camera chickadee_01.JPG (118.5 KiB) Viewed 872 times
TinaTC

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Tech Talk