Is it my camera or me? (P&S)

How To's, buy/sell gear, hints, techniques, and questions

Re: Is it my camera or me? (P&S)

Postby MikeW » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Tina, your shutter speed, ISO and aperture all work together to obtain proper exposure. The aperture is the size of the opening in the lens to allow light through to the sensor. The shutter speed is how long that opening stays open. The ISO is the setting for how sensitive your shutter is to the light coming through to it. So some examples of how the work together (these examples assume nothing changed like the sun going behind a cloud or it being close to sunset where the light changes constantly).

Say to get a good exposure you are at an aperture of f8 and a shutter speed of 1/500 second at ISO 100. If you change one of these, say ISO to 200, then the others need to change to maintain that good exposure. In this case the ISO doubled, so the sensor will be twice as sensitive to light. You will either have to leave the aperture open half as long (half the shutter speed to 1/1000 second) at f8 or leave the shutter speed the same and close the aperture by half it's size (a full stop to f11).

So, in a case where you take a picture and it is underexposed, you have three options...(1) increase ISO, (2) open up to a larger aperture (smaller f number) or (3) decrease your shutter speed (so the lens opening, aperture, stays open longer). The exact opposite for a photo that is over exposed.

When your camera is on auto mode, it is moving these settings for you. When you are on 'aperture priority' you tell it what f-stop you want (which is how you can control depth of field too) and it will set ISO and shutter speed. If you are on 'shutter priority' mode, you set shutter speed and the camera sets ISO and aperture.

The best way to get a handle on understanding this is to set your camera in 'manual mode' where you set all three and just play around with it. Soon you will understand all they do, how they work with each other and how you can control what your end result looks like.

Have fun,
Mike
Last edited by MikeW on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeW

Postby TinaTC » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Thank you MikeW once again! I'm starting to get it, really! Just took a few more and I am blown away by the difference. I know it's not the caliber you pros are used to :) but it's such an improvement for me. I might even post a few on Facebook. :W

20150215_1748__01.JPG
20150215_1748__01.JPG (269.14 KiB) Viewed 568 times

20150215_1749__01.JPG
20150215_1749__01.JPG (327.16 KiB) Viewed 568 times
TinaTC

Postby MikeW » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Way to go Tina! These look real nice, I especially like the second one.

The first photo is a perfect chance to practice with exposure compensation and with your manual settings. With the dark subject in the shade and all the bright snow, it can be a tough exposure situation. Play around a bit with the settings on the camera next time you run into this set up and see if you can give the Cardinals a bit of a boost in exposure...it might blow out the highlights in the snow, but the birds might be brighter. Will be a great scenario to practice with.

Great progress here. They look really good!
MikeW

Postby res » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Tina,
Mike did a great job giving you the low down on how the camera works. May I give you a great big HIGH 5!!! I have said it many times in the past, cameras are tools. Learn to use the tools you have. Buying new tools can be a lot of fun and exciting but it does not make you better at anything. It only means you have the same skills to produce much the same quality with different tools. You have made a huge jump in your quality using your existing camera. Keep up the great work.
res

Postby TinaTC » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:27 pm

I agree about the great advice, and I'm going to save the explanations and reread and practice until it really sinks in. I am a creative person, but whenever there's math involved I tend to tune out. Even knitting involves math. I just can't get away from it! I'll work on the lighting. Really want to get a nice one of the male & female cardinal together. Ever notice the male will feed the female seeds? I love these birds.
TinaTC

Postby SandyLee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:35 pm

A bit late to the party in commenting.... you are doing GREAT Tina! :W
- Sandy
SandyLee

Previous

Return to Photo Tech Talk