Opinions on "minor" upgrade?

How To's, buy/sell gear, hints, techniques, and questions

Opinions on "minor" upgrade?

Postby SandyLee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Ok... I've created a "monster"... just kidding. Migrated hubby Jerry from his P/S to a 70D last Fall.... gave him my old Tamron 70-300. He is doing great and that little lens is working really well for him. Much better than with my 60D.... I am assuming it's because his 70D focus is "phase detect"? (60D is "contrast")
With "real" birding season approaching, he will likely want more length. I am thinking about handing over my "hooble" (400mm, F4 DO) to Jer. Although it's an easy lens weight-wise for me to tote, it's hard for me to hand-hold, just because of the physical diameter. (my hand doesn't fit around it too well.)
So, that said, an upgrade for the two of us (mostly ME!) would be....
New Camera body: 70D body (pretty affordable) .... or should I invest in the 7D MkII?
New lens: The new 100-400 IS. I have a TC 1.4 III.... will it work? Ideas on IQ with either 70D or 7D MkII combo?

I'm almost done with selling my business... and need to give myself a "small gift". (and, no, the 200-400 is beyond a small gift budget! 8-) )
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: Opinions on "minor" upgrade?

Postby MikeW » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Sandy,

I have heard and read great things about the sensor in the 70D, but I have no personal experience with it at all. I do have some time using the 7DM2 now, so I will comment on that. I simply LOVE it! The AF system is amazing (there is a bit of a learning curve due to all the options you can configure) but it is fast, accurate and with the iTR system is really nice for BIF shots. The fact that you can shoot up to 10 fps is also a huge plus for moving subjects...I have yet to hit the 'buffer full' condition when using the burst mode and that is probably due to (1) the fast cards I use and (2) the dual Digic 6 processors it has. The 7DM2 also maintains AF at f8 on the center focus point. So, for example, that 400mm f4 DO lens you have with a 2x extender will still auto focus (giving you auto focus with an effective focal length of 1280mm at f8). I could go on about the features, but you can read all that by going to B&H, so I will just say that I don't think you would be anything short of very happy with the 7DM2. I guess what I would suggest if trying to decide between the two is to look at the major features of each and determine what is important to how you will use it and go from that. There is a pretty large difference in price, but for that price increase you do get some pretty big improvements...65 point all cross type AF vs. 19 point; dual Digic 6 processors vs. 1 Digic 5; 10 fps vs. 7 fps; etc.

As for the lens, I rented the previous version of the 100-400 for my 2014 FLorida trip and it was a really good lens. Very sharp, and easy to work with. I will be honest, I do not shoot much hand-held because I am a firm believer that a tripod gets you sharper photos, but the weight of that lens would lend itself to doing that if it was someone's prefered method of shooting. I had absolutely no complaints with that lens and I have read the new version is actually much better.

Hope this helps and good shopping,
Mike
MikeW

Postby MikeW » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:30 pm

Sandy,

Also, you asked about the 100-400 working with your 1.4x extender. Yes, the 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II USM would lose one stop of light with the 1.4x and become a f8 at the 400mm focal length, which would maintain AF using the 7DM2. I could not find anything that stated if the 70D has AF at f8 or not...something to look into further or just test out with Jerry's.
MikeW

Postby SandyLee » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks, Mike!
Really appreciate your input, info and experience. Thinking I will go for the 7D MKII ... am hoping the AF learning curve isn't too huge! If I sell/trade in my 60D, that will give me a bit more to work with (especially since we will have the 70D as back-up). Regardless, sounds like the 100-400 will be in my catch (soon). Supposed to be sunny tomorrow, and after Jerry makes me breakfast ( :P ), we are going to head over to Logan's Landing. Ice is finally letting go there, so might be some ops.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby res » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:04 pm

I will give you my thoughts and also just basic stats on differences. I have listed the 7DII first in all comparisons. NOT trying to promote one over the other just easier than writing model numbers over and over!! For short, I am lazy. :mrgreen:

7d2 vs 70d

Two cards for recording vs One card for recording
10 frames / sec vs 7 frames / sec
+6-7 ounces heavier than 70d
No wireless capability vs wireless (though reviews are mixed)
USB 3 vs USB 2 port
Fixed Rear view vs Articulating
65 autofocus points vs 19
F8 focus vs 5.6

Ok, dry stats. That said, you need to define your interest. I would pick the 7dII since I have been learning the various auto-focus options on my 5dIII and finding just how good they can be. More auto-focus points means more flexibility in set up. I also prefer having two cards in my camera compared to one. Though I would only use it occasionally, having 10 frames per second vs 7 it is a big thing in a very few circumstances and I hit those times due to my style of shooting. If you are shooting an osprey soaring and looking for fish, the 6 fps on my 5dIII is WAY to fast!!! :roll: BUT, when that osprey dives and you want the impact, 10 fps will still seem slow!! Also, if you upload from your camera to a computer, the 3.0 USB might be a very big feature. I don’t so it doesn't matter much to me. The moving rear screen doesn’t mean much since I don’t use it much at all. Last of course is the price. Which feature set to you prefer? How much do you really want to spend. If you can afford the more expensive camera, will you use the features enough to justify it in your mind? Personally, I am getting ready to unload a few things and buy a 7dII. Just me. I am very sure both cameras will shoot very good pictures IF the photographer does their job well!!
res

Postby SandyLee » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Thanks so much Res! Really appreciate the comparisons. Easy to understand and research a bit more.... and besides that, I so trust you and Mike for "in the field" work and "real" information. Didn't get out last weekend.... maybe tomorrow....I hope.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Photo Tech Talk