Pileated Woodpeckers

A place to share your favorite photographs

Pileated Woodpeckers

Postby MikeW » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:36 am

For the last three years I've been following a pair of Pileated WPs at Kensington. Last year I found their nest hole but it was probably about 60 feet up and as soon as the leaves came on the trees it was not to be seen again. This year I followed one to a hole in early March and saw they were checking it out, but so were a Hairy and a Red-belly. Well a week later I caught the Pileated enlarging the hole and sure enough they are using it. I've been checking on them about 3 to 4 times a week since March in hopes of getting a photo of them feeding the babies. Well, like all good things, I was not the only one to find this nest hole and word quickly spread. When you go now to photograph, you almost need a reservation to get a spot :lol: Everyone should be getting some good photos. There are three chicks in the nest hole, but usually only two stick their heads out at a time, tonight however, at one feeding all three were showing. I was concentrating on them so much I didn't realize the parent had moved back to where the back of the head was out of frame a bit, when I corrected for it the third chick had ducked back into the hole. Hopefully it will happen again, but if not this will have to do.
PileatedWoodpecker-9481-2.jpg
PileatedWoodpecker-9481-2.jpg (198.73 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Everyone enjoy the rest of the week,
Mike
MikeW

Re: Pileated Woodpeckers

Postby SandyLee » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I've heard that this nest is quite the "hot spot" at Kensington. (I hope all the people don't overcrowd this nice Pilly family.) Sweet image! Thanks much!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Very neat Mike. What a great experience.

Dale
Dale

Postby deadstream guy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:45 am

Neat picture Mike! The old fellow looks pooped out. I'm thinking he's been run ragged feeding those woodpeckerlets.
deadstream guy

Postby MikeW » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:17 pm

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

To Sandy's concern...they did not seem to mind all the people one bit and all three of them eventually left the nest. I was there one morning when a small Pileated came in to feed them, I first thought it was one of the parents, but then the Dad showed up and you could see the size difference. I'm wondering if it could be a baby from the prior year helping out? Does anyone know if that happens? It was the only time that smaller one came in to feed the babies in all the times I was there.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend,
Mike
MikeW

Return to Photo Sharing