A Few Friends From The Past Week

A place to share your favorite photographs

A Few Friends From The Past Week

Postby tozjohn » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:54 pm

It appears that most of the migrants have left my yard except for a few late Sparrows. Some are still hanging around be it the Song, White-crowned and White-throat. But the last warbler I have seen was a lonely Palm hiding in my spruce trees. So it appears that I will be left with only the locals until the northerners appear. The only real good news is that Sharpy has not been seen for the past two days, hopefully he has discovered another buffet area to watch. I've attached a few pics of some visitors to my feeding stations the past week, As you can see most are of my regulars whom will be with me til next spring. I hope you find them enjoyable.
One thing that disappoints me is the lack of posters on this site. It sure has decreased substantually in the past year. It appears that there are only about 4 or 5 whom post with any regularity, down considerably from the past. Hopefully with the coming of colder weather the postings will increase.
Anyways, both I and the missus will still be checking here pretty well daily to see what is going on in the neighborhood.
We wish all a good fall of birding and for more successes in the upcoming 2017.

Linda and Ron Johnston
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

Blue Jay with his peanut.jpg
Tis one of probably a dozen of these fellas that are regular customers to my peanut supply. They will go through about 2 kilos of nuts in a week (if I let them)
Blue Jay with his peanut.jpg (99.43 KiB) Viewed 935 times

American Goldfinchv(female) after sunflower hearts.jpg
Have at least 2 dozen feeding most of the day. There appears that more than 3/4 of them are juveniles. Some are still being fed by their parents. They especially love the sunflower hearts.
American Goldfinchv(female) after sunflower hearts.jpg (157.71 KiB) Viewed 935 times

Chipping Sparrow on tray.jpg
One of a half dozen Chippers whom are still with me, probably as long as I keep putting out the millet they so love.
Chipping Sparrow on tray.jpg (128.6 KiB) Viewed 935 times

Mourning Dove feeding on ground.jpg
There are four doves living in a large spruce tree in the back of my yard. Spend most of the sunny days "sunbathing" before taking over my trays from the little birds.
Mourning Dove feeding on ground.jpg (115.34 KiB) Viewed 935 times
tozjohn

Re: A Few Friends From The Past Week

Postby tozjohn » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:22 pm

A few more pics from last week

Pileated Woodpecker (female) on suet log.jpg
The last female whom is a daily visitor. She arrives pretty well for supper, usually between 5 and 6 oclock. She appears to be the juvenile lady whom came with her parents this summer.
Pileated Woodpecker (female) on suet log.jpg (131.65 KiB) Viewed 932 times

Pileated Woodpecker (male) on suet.jpg
One of 3 regular male Pilleys that come daily. Along with the pretty lady above they are going through a helluva pile of peanut butter this year.
Pileated Woodpecker (male) on suet.jpg (119.19 KiB) Viewed 932 times

Song Sparrow with seed.jpg
This is the last Songer I have here in my yard. Will miss his sweet song til next spring. He makes his nest in our neighbours lilac bushes.
Song Sparrow with seed.jpg (173.65 KiB) Viewed 932 times

White-breasted Nuthatch with peanut.jpg
One of my most favourite friends. He so enjoys stealing the Pilley's suet. His cousin the red (two of them) also visit, but I've been unable to get a good pic of them lately (too fast for me)
White-breasted Nuthatch with peanut.jpg (154.17 KiB) Viewed 932 times
tozjohn

Postby tozjohn » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Just a copla more pics, then i'm off to bed.

Thanks for looking

Ron

Common Grackle after a bath.jpg
One of my nemesis, the stealer of suet and seed. In a way I'll be happy for colder weather so these characters will also head south. This fella was sunbathing just after having a bath.
Common Grackle after a bath.jpg (242.68 KiB) Viewed 932 times

Chipmunk on the garden path.jpg
Although this is not a bird, he in my mind a indispensable part of my backyard birding. He is a complete vacuum cleaner under the feeders, cleaning up every last seed that the birds have missed.
Chipmunk on the garden path.jpg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 932 times
tozjohn

Postby SandyLee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi Ron! Great series of pics! Thanks! Surprised to still see a Grackle up your way!

Thanks for being a great member and sharing your photos and stories with us..... I, too, wish that more folks would stop by and post some stuff.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby tozjohn » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:20 pm

Yes Sandy, dem Grackles are still with me, stealing as much suet, peanuts and whatever else is sitting loose on my feeding stations. Tis one of the problems with this climate changing thingee that is happening. Last year I even had one of them still here in the middle of January. Had a real cold spell of minus 25 and he vanished, dont know if he just left or froze to death. Heck, we even now have Robins that stay in the area ALL winter, surviving on the fruit trees. Call it climate change, call it global warming, whatever it is it is letting the birds come and stay further north in the winter.
tozjohn

Postby SandyLee » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:59 am

Agree Ron! Hummers (an active couple) stayed about ten days later than any other year.... Latest date previously (about 8 years ago) was 9/17 (and that year it was just a single "pudge") ... This year, the two of them left on 9/26.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby MikeW » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Great photos Ron! I have to admit I have been less active on the site this summer than normal, but between work and some photo trips the last few months it has been tough. I think the Facebook site may have something to do with the decrease of posting here too, but I am not on Facebook so I need to get back to normal posting. I will post some photos this weekend from some of my recent trips and I look forward to seeing more of your photos and those from others too.
Take care,
Mike
MikeW

Return to Photo Sharing