Some Photos from Today

A place to share your favorite photographs

Some Photos from Today

Postby tozjohn » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:35 pm

Yes Mike, I agree that a lot of our old posters are probably over on FaceBook. Like you, I do not and will not be a FaceBooker, I leave that up to my wife. I will continue to post on this site for the near future, but have also been doing some on the "Ugly Hedgehog" website, which is much more active than here.
Am looking forward to seeing what youve been up to this year.
Heres a few pics that I took today from my deck. After I got the leaves raked up had time to sit for a jav, weather is out of this world, plus 15C and sunny for the most part. Wish this would continue til next Aoril (dreamer)
All photos were taken with a Canon T6i and 300mm lens.

Ron Johsnton

American Goldfinch (in flight) - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
These bu**ers are hard to catch in the air. Got lucky with a few today. Had about 25 to 30 on the niger today.
American Goldfinch (in flight) - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (118.85 KiB) Viewed 230 times

Black-capped Chickadee - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
Have about a dozen of these regulars daily.
Black-capped Chickadee - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (246.6 KiB) Viewed 230 times

Blue Jay - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
Inquisitive rascal, begging for some peanuts (which I gave)
Blue Jay - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (166.76 KiB) Viewed 230 times

Dark-eyed Junco - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
Just arrived this week, about a dozen of them.
Dark-eyed Junco - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (294.05 KiB) Viewed 230 times
tozjohn

Re: Some Photos from Today

Postby tozjohn » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:46 pm

Another set of todays pics.

Downy Woodpecker (female) - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
One of at least 4 Downies that frequent my suet blocks. 2 of each sex.
Downy Woodpecker (female) - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (263.46 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Pileated Woodpecker (male) - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
One of 2 males that are in every day for their peanut butter.
Pileated Woodpecker (male) - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (143.73 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Pileated Woodpecker  2 (female) - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
The only female left coming to my suet log.
Pileated Woodpecker 2 (female) - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (195.31 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Purple Finch (female) - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
One of about half a dozen Purps that come in daily. Only one male and the rest ladies (lucky guy ;-) )
Purple Finch (female) - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (265.47 KiB) Viewed 229 times
tozjohn

Postby tozjohn » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:57 pm

One last set, then off to bed. Thanks for looking.

Ron Johnston

Song Sparrow - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
Dont know why this character is still here, should be heading south to warmer temperatures.
Song Sparrow - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (220.69 KiB) Viewed 229 times

White-breasted Nuthatch - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
Loves to pick the peanuts out of the suet log.
White-breasted Nuthatch - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (167.02 KiB) Viewed 229 times

White-throated Sparrow - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
The last one, still here. Seems to be buddy buddy with the Song Sparrow, they dine together.
White-throated Sparrow - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (213.95 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Blue Jay 2 - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg
One of the easiest to take pics, dependable to come as soon as the peanuts are put out.
Blue Jay 2 - Fort Creek SSM ON, November 4, 2016.jpg (222.44 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Has anyone tried to catch the Fork-tailed flycatcher fooling around over in Menominee in the UP. I thought about it but the 4 1/2 hour trip one-way is a bit too much for this old timer. But sure would be nice to see.

Any howse, that's alll folks. Off to bed for my beauty rest. Now all youse crazy birders have a successful fall.

Linda and Ron Johnsto
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
tozjohn

Postby MikeW » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:22 am

Really nice photos!! You have a really active deck area, that's for sure. I had to stop putting out the suet for a while. I've been in my house for 17+ years now and for whatever reason the downy woodpeckers decided to pound a nest box size hole into each of the wood pillars holding up the roof over the front porch. I tried everything to stop them and was unsuccessful. I may just have to hang a nest box over each of the holes and see if they use those instead...lucky for me they put the holes at almost exactly the same height. Plenty of nice trees around here so I'm not sure what made the pillars seem attractive to them.
Have a great weekend,
Mike
MikeW

Postby SandyLee » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Superb series Ron!!! Image quality is awesome! :D

Boy, Mike, I wonder why the woodpeckers took "too much" of a liking to your house?! Although they haven't bothered mine, other than some minor pounding on the deck, I did have some neighbors (who don't even feed birds) say that they have had the woodpeckers attacking their homes. Maybe with the extra warm/humid summer, there's extra "yummies" (like little bugs?) hanging around? I know we had lots more gnats, etc., this year than I can remember ever having before.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Photo Sharing