1000x800 photo demo...test yours here too!

A place to share your favorite photographs

1000x800 photo demo...test yours here too!

Postby SandyLee » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi! Just went thru the Admin controls again... and did see that one of the settings may have not conformed to a larger pic size.... SO, tried again and this time put the image and attachment settings to 1000x800 pixels (width x height). And increased number of attachments per post to 8.

Here is a quick review and demo for attaching pics directly from your puter:
1. Click "Upload attachment" tab (directly below this posting box).
2. Click "Choose File"
3. Choose/open a photo from your computer
4. Click the box that says "add the file" (you will then see that your attachment is listed below in "posted attachments") You can add a file comment in the box if you'd like.
5. Now..... You can click the "Submit" box....... (your pic will display with a larg-ish white "frame" around it) ... OR .... click the "place inline" box (your pic will display in this posting box as a Code with brackets around it) Then click Submit. The pic will appear with a minimal white "frame". If you choose to use the "Place Inline" option (which I prefer), you can move the bracketed pic Code around and add text where ever you want.

This is my test photo.... It's 1000x700, as submitted..... BUT!!!!! for reasons unknown to me, it looks like our new/upgraded software is automatically resizing it!!! Which I guess is ok....

IMG_0887edit.jpg1000.jpg
MY, what a big foot you have Mr. Coot!

If any members would be so kind as to post a large image in a reply to this message, that would be most helpful... Thanks!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: 1000x800 photo demo...test yours here too!

Postby MikeW » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:38 pm

Sandy,
The reason for resizing that you are seeing might be due to the 1000 X 800 pixels you set it up for. This equates to an 8 X 10 photo or 4 X 5 aspect ratio, so any 2 X 3 aspect ratio (which equals an 8 X 12 photo and is what most camera's use) will be resized and you will lose some off the long edge. I would suggest setting it up to be 1050 X 700 (2/3 format) and then you won't see the truncation on the long edge. And if someone does want to post something in an 8 X 10 format it will still handle it.
Hope this helps,
Mike
MikeW

Postby MikeW » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:54 pm

Sandy,

Here is one I got at Kensington Metro Park this afternoon. Found a nice broken tree where someone had put some seed and I was working on some flying shots. This White-breasted Nuthatch and a Tufted Titmouse got into it a bit. I got lucky because I did not have much room to capture multiple birds since I had my big lens and could not back up further. This would have been a good situation to have the 70-200 with me, which of course I didn't.

The source file was 667 wide x 1000 high, so I thought I'd try to post it. I got a message back saying it can be 1000 wide and 800 high, and since this was 1000 high it will not let me post it. Looks like it will only take the dimensions with 1000 if it is a landscape format (horizontal). I wonder if you made it 1000 wide x 1000 high if it would allow both landscape and portrait format with the long side at 1000.

Anyway, I changed this to be 800 high and 533 wide and it took it.

Nuthatch-n-Titmouse_MBN-7733.jpg
533 wide by 800 high

Have a nice evening,
Mike
MikeW

Postby SandyLee » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:02 pm

Thanks Mike! I generally use an 8x10 format..... but, it seems that the software is automatically re-sizing it, as long as we don't exceed the 1000 horizontal x 800 vertical. (I had set those dims up since that's about as large as a smaller screen will display without scrolling thru.) Can you enlighten me about the truncation on the long edge? Not sure what that means.
I'll try to reset the dims in the next few days to 1050x1050 (that should cover about everything). I've been running all over this week, so am looking for a few days of downtime. Thanks for posting and helping me out!

The Nuthatch/Titmouse action is awesome! Great capture! :D
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby MikeW » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:54 pm

Sandy, thanks for the comments. What I meant by the truncation was that the 1000 X 800 you had set up was an 8x10 format and if you were not posting as a 8 X 10 but rather a standard 8 X 12 (a 2/3 aspect ratio which most camera sensors have) then that may have accounted for the resizing you mentioned. Just a guess and I'm sure it could be something else too as I don't know what formatting this site actually does. If you set it up for the 1050 X 1050 like you mentioned that should cover everything.

By the way, did you notice that in this thread you can click on the photo and get a full page image? It does not work for photos posted in other threads from before you made these changes, but does here, allowing you to get a nice full screen look at a photo. At least it is working that way using my iPad.

Thanks,
Mike
MikeW

Postby SandyLee » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Holy CRAP! Thanks Mike.... Love that we can click and bring up a bigger image! Had no idea! So glad you did the "click and check"! SWEET! :W
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Photo Sharing