Red-headed Woodpeckers

A place to share your favorite photographs

Red-headed Woodpeckers

Postby MikeW » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Last year I got a couple shots of a Red-headed WP and posted a reflection shot of one. I was on a bit of a mission to get some better shots of these guys this year and I did manage to get a few during 2016 and thought I'd post some to see what you think...always interested in any comments and feedback...good or bad. Anyway, they were pretty corporative this year and provided me with some good opportunities, not all of which I was able to capitalize on, but it was fun and got me out of the house.

Finally got a close up as this guy got so used to seeing me there he would land pretty close at times
RedheadedWP-2166.jpg

RedheadedWP-4505.jpg

I call these next three "caught in the act". They are pretty heavy crops because I only had a few seconds to swing the camera around and shoot, no chance to get closer.
RedheadedWP-4382.jpg

RedheadedWP-4383.jpg

RedheadedWP-4384.jpg

Here are a couple flight shots. There was a nest hole in the back of a tree about 25 to 30 feet up and both parents were flying in and out bringing food to the youngsters. I wanted a bit of a better angle, so I used a trick I learned from a friend of mine and put PVC extensions on my tripod, then took that idea to the next (or should I say higher) level and put the set-up in the bed of my truck, which put the camera at about 14-15 feet high. It gave me a good angle for the photos, much better than on the ground for sure.

RedheadedWP-2992.jpg

RedheadedWP-2993.jpg

Here is a cell phone photo of the set-up I was using...I got some pretty crazy looks from the cars that passed and a few folks curious enough to stop and ask what the heck I was doing...I think most of them probably just figured I was a bit :C

Hope you enjoy the photos,
Mike

RedheadedWPSetUp-3855.jpg
MikeW

Re: Red-headed Woodpeckers

Postby SandyLee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:52 pm

All the RHW images are awesome! Spot on detail and exposure.

Enjoyed the "caught in the act" series! (alternate caption: Love 'em and leave 'em... lol)

Just can't imagine that anyone would think you to be a bit :C ... with such an, ahem... "creative" set-up! :P
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby MikeW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Thanks Sandy...and I like your alternative caption!
MikeW

Postby Dale » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:13 am

Love the photos Mike. And I think I may have even stopped and looked this over
if I was driving by !! No way I am climbing that ladder !

Dale
Dale

Postby MikeW » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks Dale, appreciate the comments.
MikeW

Return to Photo Sharing